quick hybrid bc question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that "bells and whistles" pack like bells and whistles. The more you dive, the more likely you are to want fewer, not more, bells and whistles. As I mentioned before, Zeagle's soft pack design makes them very packable. While their Ranger is a good sized BC with lot's of lift, it still can be folded in half, the tank bands can be easily removed to make it even easier to cram in a bag yet still provide weight integration and pockets. Other models make it even easier to do so, and you still end up with a full functioning BC that is very rugged.

BP and wing setups have their advantages too, but are not for everyone, and personally I don't find mine that easy to pack so I travel with my trusty old Zeagle. Many hybrid BC's use a hard backpack and they end up with a formed shape making them not so easy to pack while weighing more. All a hybrid does is partially wrap around you so it is sort of in-between a jacket and back inflation.

I've done a good bit of travel and have never had a problem with dive luggage. There are plenty of horror stories however. I usually just carry on my computer and sometimes reg and check everything else.

Good luck with your choice.

k ellis- i deffinatly hear what your saying, right now its just hard deciding which way i want to lean. i would like an awesome well build durable strong bcd with all the bells n whistles but at the same time want to be able to carry it on a plane with me for travel, lord why do these things have to be so complicated lol.

anyone had really bad experiences with travel or does your luggage usually get there ok??

Since I own an Aerix XT hybrid, your post got me thinking. I went to their website & found that they DO still make a hybrid; it's now called the 5 Oceans.

I've had my Aeris XT since probably 2003, and it's still going strong. That's in salt & fresh water, and various water temps.

Yes it has a backplate, but it's relatively small & really doesn't hinder packing. We each pack our dive bags, check them in, and go. My XT & my hubby's Dive Right have literally been all over the world, most of the time on liveaboards where you have to pack "light n tight".

I love my Aeris: lots of lift & hybrid configuration make it an excellent BC esp for an Instructor like myself who sometimes has to support more than herself both at the surface & under water. :wink:

Bonne chance,

anyone had really bad experiences with travel or does your luggage usually get there ok??

Scuba gear and travel are a constant struggle when traveling. I had my bag lost twice (On Continental no doubt) and they were the most aweful airline in existance so Id avoid them if I were you. But as far as carry on you can almost guarantee they are going to say something if you bring your regulator with you. Its not illegal its just the image it portrays on the scanner.

I have a Sherwood Tortuga BC and am very pleased with the performance and durability. These were advertised in Scuba Diving magazine as 'travel' BCs, and they are much smaller than some serious jacket BCs, i.e., all the bells and whistles, though more bulky than the first jacket style ScubaPro BC I owned, I can't remember the model. I can pack the BC (size medium) with regs, 2mm full suit, 3mm shorty, some bells and whistles, some light clothing and C-card in an overhead-legal bag.

As to stability, the Tortuga is rated as a hybrid but it is predominately back inflated, perhaps 90%. That said, floating on my back on the surface isn't a problem but floating vertical requires some kicking to keep from leaning forward, as you would expect. Underwater the stability is great.

Oddly, checking in at airports hasn't been a problem, even with regs. One inspector looked at the X-ray image and asked "is this the underwater stuff". Then he let me through.

You may want to look up the May 2008 issue of Scuba Diving for some details about Hybrids before deciding.

aquanaut that sounds like something im definatly looking for im most certinatly going to look it up right now.

k ellis i have hated continental for so long, i havnt really ever dealt with them personally but watching friends and family deal with them makes me hate them so i will definatly avoid them, and ill take the chance with the reg, im not gonna put a expensive piece of equipment like that in the hands of someone who wont take care of it lol

I have the Aeris 5 oceans. It is a back inflate, not a hybrid, weighs under 8lbs, and packs flat.
I love it, although I am a noob and it is my first BC.

For a travel BC, you might look at the AquaLung Zuma. It is a back inflate travel BC. It has a soft backplate & actually uses the cylinder for rigidity. The main cam strap is located very low on the BC with a smaller strap up top. It can be rolled or folded up. It is a minimalist design, has weight pockets & w/ a couple d-rings. VERY light weight. That being said, most lightweight travel BC's like that aren't designed for the rigorous colder, temperate waters found around our area. The BP/W is an idea, though I'll admit, I only use a BP/W for technical diving. It can certainly be used for recreational diving with a smaller wing designed for a single cylinder.

I have the Aeris 5 oceans. It is a back inflate, not a hybrid, weighs under 8lbs, and packs flat.
I love it, although I am a noob and it is my first BC.

That's interesting. Their website says this about the 5 Oceans configuration:
Hybrid Bladder Design
The innovative design of the Contour allows the freedom of movement and other benefits you have come to expect from a rear-inflation BC. However, the unique wrap-around design of the air cell provides you more lift than most BC’s; as well as an improved, upright orientation when the BC is inflated on the surface.

I actually have an email into them to see if they can demystify whether or not they still have a hybrid in their line up.

As to carrying on a reg while travelling, which we do quite often, we only seldom have had security open our bag to inspect it. Of course since I also have a hip implant and go through the "old guy" frisk at every airport, the delay of looking at the reg is sort of moot point!

Back
Top Bottom