"Quick & Easy" LED replacement for Salvo 10w HID head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've currently got a Salvo 10w HID can light that I like just fine. I've been thinking about options for when the bulb blows.

One is to find out if there is a relatively easy way to replace the HID head with an LED one. I don't have any machining tools, and my soldering skills are basic.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks in advance! :)

Russell

I imagine you should be able to find spare lamps with little trouble. Once the ballast goes though. You might be able to replace it with a 14w ballast. Some folks with MR-11 heads have claimed it's a drop-in replacement.

If you have a replacement head with something that accepts the same voltage as your current light (~12-14v), replacing a lighthead seems like it just involves soldering two wires in a cord, and a little gland work. Building your own lighthead seems a bit more daunting :)

Some folks with MR-11 heads have claimed it's a drop-in replacement.
...Building your own lighthead seems a bit more daunting :)

Indeed, thanks Gombessa

Any of the "some folks" Gombessa mentioned around? Experiences?

No real instructions but its all fairly basic stuff.
Lathe up a heat sink that has a slip fit in the housing.
Mount driver on the rear and LED on the front.
Get a reflector that fits and if you cant then machine it to size.

It is something I do not to feed the family but more to pay for my expensive diving habit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom