Questions regarding luxury charters on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
On this topic and not trying to hijack, can someone translate hele on for me? I think it means "to travel"...We need a new name for the sail boat.

From a local and non-Hawaiian speaking perspective, I've always heard/used the term "hele on" to mean basically, let's get moving. It's probably more like pidgin Hawaiian slang rather than a literal translation.

Hawaiian to English dictionary re hele:

hele
1. nvi. To go, come, walk; to move, as in a game; going, moving; a gadabout. Fig., to die. Cf. hele wale, hele wāwae. Hele mai, come. Hele aku, go; go away. Hele Pololei, to go straight ahead. Hele nō ā ka po`e `ōpiopio, extending even to the young people. Kāu hele kēia, this is your move [as in the kōnane game]. Hele a ka lā, the path of the sun; circuit of the sun. Hele i lalo, go down, descend. ho`o.hele To cause to move, set in motion; to start, as a clock; to manage; to walk someone else or force oneself to walk. Kō kākou mau ho`ohele `ana, our management. E ho`ohele aku `oe i ka uaki, start the watch. (PPN sa`ele, PCP sele.)

I was always partial to the fried egg and bacon sandwich (with ketchup!) – but wait! The Albacore are boiling and all of the trolling rigs are singing! The bait ball is rising, the birds are diving and I’m eating! Where the heck did I leave the Ugly Stick and candy bars!
The deck hand starts down the rail screaming, “Over! – Under!” Snip – snip – they should have listened!

Ahh- the memories!

Dave

Hey Dave, cant forget that ripping Bluefin bite and your drags were buttoned down for the Albies and then Zingpow LOL

Hey I guess the news is Brian is going back to the Royal Star as an owner with Tim and Randy. Shoot get Markus and Bruce back and the good ole days are back.

Jack

I fished longfins briefly. Always exciting to watch a dozen feathers get hit at once! Then it all pales with with first blue marlin. Fish heroin...Anyone need a deck hand or skipper for a fish boat?

chepar:
From a local and non-Hawaiian speaking perspective, I've always heard/used the term "hele on" to mean basically, let's get moving. It's probably more like pidgin Hawaiian slang rather than a literal translation.

Hawaiian to English dictionary re hele:

hele
1. nvi. To go, come, walk; to move, as in a game; going, moving; a gadabout. Fig., to die. Cf. hele wale, hele wāwae. Hele mai, come. Hele aku, go; go away. Hele Pololei, to go straight ahead. Hele nō ā ka po`e `ōpiopio, extending even to the young people. Kāu hele kēia, this is your move [as in the kōnane game]. Hele a ka lā, the path of the sun; circuit of the sun. Hele i lalo, go down, descend. ho`o.hele To cause to move, set in motion; to start, as a clock; to manage; to walk someone else or force oneself to walk. Kō kākou mau ho`ohele `ana, our management. E ho`ohele aku `oe i ka uaki, start the watch. (PPN sa`ele, PCP sele.)

Hele a ka lā I LIKE that one.:D A bit of a mouthfull on the radio thou. Thats OK I dont much like the radio anyway.

Wildcard:
Then it all pales with with first blue marlin. Fish heroin...

Aint that the truth. I have had several friends self claimed bait only sportfisherman fish with me and say I dont want no stinkin marlin. Well it never fails that we get them hooked up to a nice healthy 400 pound ***** kicker and low and behold man we got a marlin fisherman. :rofl3:

So after a hard fought battle and my buddies usually end up beat and and looking like the cats drug um in they cant quit uttering and mumbling "that was awesome, that was awesome".

Hawaii sure can produce memories like no other place in the world.

Jack

hey, you know what I want? I want to take a flat day and cruise with another boat to Molakai. Not sure if you have seen the sea cliffs on the north shore, but it is the kind of trip that would be nice with another bigger better boat to go along with. Mine is a Glacier Bay power cat, 22" so I need nice conditions. (Not much there, if you have any trouble!) We have crossed before... Sleeping in the harbor on Molakai is very comfy.

So, if ya'll are ever doing an overnight crossing, give a whistle. I'm not quite brave enough to go it alone yet.

Alex is doing a 1200 dollar/ day sport fishing diving combo now, but he just started. Day trips only.

Oh...I've been know to whimper and cry a little mid channel...I'm workin on that.

I'll be home soon and we are doing some interisle cruzin. Ya can tag along to molokai iffin you want.
$1200 for a dive/fish trip? Hows that working out?

"
So after a hard fought battle and my buddies usually end up beat and and looking like the cats drug um in they cant quit uttering and mumbling "that was awesome, that was awesome"."
When they stand on there tails at boatside and light up....WoW! Pictures can not do it justice...Had a guy in Homer I was talking with one day. Just baggesd a couple of 50lb halibut and was going off about how he could never fish for trout again. I pointed out that It's as hard to go back to a flat brown fish that lays on the bottom after seeing the above water antics of a fish that changes color from ohhh to Ahhh... Hope I didnt ruin his high.

$1200 for a dive/fish trip? Hows that working out?
he has had a few, I think he wants four a month.
yea..I'd love to follow along to Molakai. Ya'll pick me up if I start to sob, right?

That's okay...I have my intertube, it makes me feel much better.

If Alex gets 1200 for fishing what do I get for fishing you out? LOL
'Ya'll pick me up if I start to sob, right?" Dont I always?

Back
Top Bottom