Questions re: Cabo scuba excursions, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After going for my first time to Cabo back in August, my jonesing for the place has overcome me and I've booked another trip for Nov 4-10, this time with my darling bride. As usual, I wanted to tap into the creative minds here to get opinions.

Most of the shops in Cabo will go to Gordo Banks & Cabo Pulmo. Manta Divers even does a trip to La Paz to Isla Cerralvo. Problem is, Manta isn't offering these excursions after October until sometime next year.

Question 1 - has anyone done a day trip on their own from Cabo to Cabo Pulmo? Was it cheaper than doing it through a dive shop (say $130)? I know there are issues like the washboard road that can tear the heck out of your rent car, as I've been up there. Any details you can share would be appreciated.

Question 2 - same question, but a longer drive to La Paz. Who did you dive with, how long was the round-trip, when did you arrive, etc.

Question 3 - is Gordo Banks really worth the effort (anyone been in Nov)? I don't want to blow $130 to see a hammerhead shark or a manta somewhere off in the distance. Big creatures are neat, but I want to see a good number of them within picture-taking distance or something else worthwhile to look at on the dive.

Question 4 - what dive shops in Cabo are supportive of shore diving, so that they will rent you tanks if you're diving with them? Cabo ain't Bonaire, but it would be nice to do this at least once. Chileno Beach is a popular spot even though I understand the dive shop there has left. Any other spots?

Question 5 - has anyone used a dive shop in Cabo that consistently goes out on afternoon dives?

Not being difficult, just cheap!

scubabum2:
...Question 1 - has anyone done a day trip on their own from Cabo to Cabo Pulmo? Was it cheaper than doing it through a dive shop (say $130)? I know there are issues like the washboard road that can tear the heck out of your rent car, as I've been up there. Any details you can share would be appreciated.

I'll belly up to the bar for this one, as I'm missing Los Cabos myself. In fact, I'll add details for others who may not have had the chance to fall in love with Cabo Pulmo. Yes, I made two, consecutive day trips to Cabo Pulmo last year. It was considerably cheaper than arranging a trip through a CSL shop, like half. (About $55 each day, and I'll bet if you invested five bucks in a phone call there, you could get something even cheaper.) Those two day trips were very much worth it.

OTOH, the driving time requirement means that you must count on excellent dive conditions. A third, afternoon tank is a hard sell in CP, but would maximize your time investment. When I was last there a few weeks ago right after a storm, vis and temps were such that it would not have been worth a self-driving day trip's value, and certainly not two days. (I stayed the night before at CP.)

The washboard road is only the last six miles, bear in mind. Other than that eye-opener, the huge mudpit half a mile from the highway only grows after a rain. To get around that, just take whichever lane is not swamp, as locals recycle their detours :)

Coming back the first day, I drove the so-called Sunset Road. Picturesque, not very dangerous, even unique, but you'd better eat your Wheaties. Click here to see photos of the road. There were at least two excellent surfing breaks along the way. The Sunset Road took more than three hours, including photos, and comes through San Jose, which is a different option for dinner. The highway route to Cabo Pulmo requires about 2.5 hours from Cabo San Lucas itself, about two hours from the Corridor, and about 90 minutes from the airport.

The highway itself is quite scenic in parts, but with few places to pull over for photos. There are several last-minute stores along the way, but none nearer than 15 kilometers to Cabo Pulmo itself. The cattle can be dangerously in the road, especially after a rain when the soft, green grass blooms. Ironically, there are not any cattle at all on the Sunset Road -- they're not so dumb, those Baja bulls.

--Wayne

Wayne,
Thanks for putting in your two cents - its always good stuff. I'll have to buy you a couple of cervezas if we ever run into each other.

When you say invest five bucks in a phone call, are you saying to set up your diving in Cabo Pulmo in advance (sorry I'm dense)? If I'm not mistaken, there's about 2 or 3 shops in CP with names readily available on a SB search. I don't mind the time investment even if the diving is just OK. Heck, $55 will barely get you a 2 tank dive in CSL. I had good diving in the Harbor, crappy east Texas summer lake diving in the Corridor, so I would have done CP twice even in less than decent conditions. Maybe I can spend the money I would have otherwise spent on a dive shop CP trip and bribe a third dive in CP.

Those pictures were great. If I was traveling with my old buddy from August, the coastal road would have been the preferred route. With the wife, probably best to do the highway - cows, arroyos & all.

Now a general note to everyone regarding where I'm coming from. I loved my first & only trip to Cabo back in August. Everything was a bit more expensive than I anticipated and scuba diving, even with the package deals, was no exception. Divers are not the backbone of the economy in Cabo like they are in Cozumel. You just adjust your expectations. I am going back to Cabo in November, determined to save $.

The impression that I got from my diving experience in Cabo was that the shops are not supportive of shore diving and they are also reluctant to take you out on a third tank in the afternoon. Those two things in combination sound like a bunch of siesta-like laziness to me. If anyone has had a different experience, please refute me. I would love to know how you got in 3 dives a day.

Thanks again, Mark

OK - more refinement. We now plan to stay at Cabo Pulmo for the first two days of our trip and then go to CSL. That alone will knock about $200 of our trip costs. Anyhoo, I have a few questions about Cabo Pulmo.

1) Do the shops go out on third dives, even for a price? I know that conditions there deteriorate in the afternoon.

2) Can you shore dive any of the closer sites in, primarily the Sea Lion Colony?

3) Are the shops willing to follow thru on night dives? Or are the seas still a factor?

Thanks, Mark

scubabum2:
OK - more refinement. We now plan to stay at Cabo Pulmo for the first two days of our trip and then go to CSL.

Where will you stay, Mark? Nancy's? Let us know the seasonal rates, will ya?

1) Do the shops go out on third dives, even for a price? I know that conditions there deteriorate in the afternoon.

When I was last there a few weeks ago, it was just after a storm, which may have caused the 5'+ waves starting around 1pm. Those were nasty. Apparently that wasn't the norm, as the DM's commented. Regarding vis, one would think it would be more or less the same as in the morning?

Anyway, I was quoted $55 from Cabo Pulmo Divers for a third, afternoon dive. Worse, I would have had to tag along with a couple of check divers, or maybe it was Discover Scuba divers. Since I had only paid $65 for two morning tanks, I passed on the afternoon dive. And that was $20 more than I had paid the year before, using Pepe's.

Regarding Pepe's, although Pepe himself is now dedicated to building a La Paz aquarium, his wife supposedly still arranges dives from the same compound. That's Nancy's daughter, BTW. You may be able to get a wider variety of options from Pepe's than from Cabo Pulmo Divers, who are more packaged.

2) Can you shore dive any of the closer sites in, primarily the Sea Lion Colony?

IF Mermaid Beach vis is good, and especially if you're willing to swim around that point, I think that would be a good dive. I enjoyed really good snorkeling there last year for my surface time. Lotsa critters. But it's a 200-yard-plus swim.

3) Are the shops willing to follow thru on night dives? Or are the seas still a factor?

My night dive was uderstandably cancelled due to the post-storm conditions. My opinion: the guys at CP Divers seemed more amenable to a night dive than a third, daytime dive. Of course, if you can get more folks in a group, that makes anything more attractive to them.
Thanks, Mark

Also, Mark, about phone calling in advance -- I've obtained better value from that. I usually prefer to email in advance, but CP dive ops aren't email users. So you could call on a Saturday, around 1pm their time (MDT), after they've taken care of divers. They would probably enjoy a break from rinsing gear.

Last but not least, have you dealt with a CP character named J. Michael Seyfort? Goes by Miguel? He's about the only email user in CP, apparently. If so, PM me and let's exchange views. If not, and you come across that name, PM me in advance of any deals.

Yes, I'm quite jealous, but wish the very best for you!

--Wayne

Wayne,
We made reservations to stay at CP Beach Resort and just paid the rate on their website. Seemed like a fair price. I'm sure I could walk up and negotiate something, but we will likely be arriving after 10PM at night. I don't think the concierge will be up then waiting for us to arrive :). Maybe the rooster in a few hours.

The person (likely in the states) who took our reservations, Veronica, mentioned that the resort dive shop goes out for two morning & two afternoon dives. I'll believe it when I see it - that's why I'm looking at the shore diving as an insurance policy for a third dive. I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop. Cabo Pulmo Divers is also another option - at least they have a website. I'll call if I don't hear back from them via email. I've seen too much negative stuff on SB posts to be comfortable with Pepe's. Perhaps that's closed-minded, but I think most SB users tell it like it is.

I haven't ran across 'ol Miguel yet. But, after doing more research on this site and others and finding some odd sites out there such as baja.com, I would guess that there are a few power struggles going on in this little chunk of Baja paradise. Can't wait to get the lowdown.

-Mark

Kind of along one of those lines, with the rescent storm of CSL, what should I expect as far as water temps in CSL and at Isla Cerravlo next week? Don't mean to get off topic, but I've never been there, and I'm looking for a I've-been-there-person type answer.

If you've already set up diving or are going to be setting up your diving via email, I would check directly with the shops. I did that on my August trip and it saved me having to take multiple wetsuits. There are several websites out there that will tell you what the typical water temp is by month, by real time info is the best. I think there are also some pretty current water temps out there if you search fishing reports.
-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom