Questions re Bonaire for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other consideration, for Gen-Z, cell coverage. We got free low speed data with T-Mobile, good enough for text and voice. But images Instagram etc. required wifi some times free while out, but mostly back at the house. Check with your carrier and see what you will need, they should sell you short term international full data if you need it.

Bonaire shore dives are no longer the remote, isolated dives of yesteryear. This past trip it was a rare dive that I couldn’t throw a shell and hit another group on shore. One day we saw 27 vehicles at Salt Pier. And then there are the sites that are at businesses and even dive shops, like the Cliff with Dive Friends within feet of the entry. All Dive Friends locations carry emergency equipment including AEDs.

Sure. If you go to the extreme northern and southern sites you can get to areas less traveled but for your plans it will be easy to stay in the more populated sites,

Bonaire shore dives are no longer the remote, isolated dives of yesteryear. This past trip it was a rare dive that I couldn’t throw a shell and hit another group on shore. One day we saw 27 vehicles at Salt Pier. And then there are the sites that are at businesses and even dive shops, like the Cliff with Dive Friends within feet of the entry. All Dive Friends locations carry emergency equipment including AEDs.
We were there in October and every time we drove by Salt Pier it looked like a car dealership. Two rows deep. But other days no one around. At Andrea(s) a 3 pack was getting out as we got in and that was it. Had the site to ourselves. We had the Lake to ourselves. While I know its not good for coral, but I liked October. Very warm water, wore thin skins, little wind, so most entries were like a pond....except the windy day we did Tolo w 1 meter waves breaking. But we all got in, and better still, out safely.

To the OP - have taken a few first timers to Bonaire because it is such easy diving. You may want to consider a waterfront full service resort, house reefs are usually easily accessible, ladder or steps to walk in, no getting beat up at a shore dive site. Plenty of opportunities to dive 24/7 at the front door. The shops usually have emergency equipment - O2 tanks, defibulators, emergency trained staff - if that is a big concern. Consider boat dives and let the DM know the kids are newbies - most will keep a sharper eye on them.

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

You might find some useful info., including on shore entries. Dead coral pellets can slide under your feet a bit. The step-off into the sea can be a bit much; I know of a YouTube series guiding people on shore diving where they mentioned foldable walking stick use to help with balance.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about having oxygen at the dive sites. Everyone has to make his own risk tolerance judgment calls. New divers are unlikely to do very aggressive diving and/or need it. Granted, 'not likely' doesn't = 'it cannot happen.'

Due to risk of thieves going through your truck while you guys are down, it's advisable to leave nothing in the truck of substantial value (extra tanks are okay), and leave doors unlocked and windows down (so they don't break in).

While you can buy medicine at a pharmacy, don't expect 24/7 Walmart Super Center type access. I take a personal 'medicine cabinet' - triple antibiotic ointment for abrasions, the pill form (generic) like Pepto Bismol, Imodium, Sudafed (the real stuff, pseudoephedrine - to aid ear clearing), Ibuprofen, Flonase, Claritin and whatever else I think I might need. A swimmers ear preventive I buy at Walmart to use every few dives (prevent swimmer's ear!).

Thick soled dive boots may save you some foot pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom