questions, questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hi. ive always been interested in the ocean and have been wanting to scuba dive for quite a long time. I just started actually considering getting certified and buying everything, but I have a few questions first.
1. What is the difference between the different certifications?

2. What is some good equipment(everything), and how much can i expect to pay?

3. Can I get certified at 15.

4. Would it be worth it to get certified if my family doesn't travel much and I don't live by the ocean. This is probably the most important, even though its a kind of stupid question. How long does a certification last? could i get certified now and dive when im a bit older?

Thank you

Great to have you aboard............Lots of questions and lots of answer.................

Different certifications. Do you mean levels or organizations?

Each organization has different levels..the basic being Open Water (OW) which allows you to dive to a max of 60 ft...

Advanced Open Water (AOW) allows and trains you to go to a max of about 130' depending on the cert agency.

From there you can go on to do specialties, like wreck diving, photography etc..........and then on to Rescue, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor and so on

The different organizations all do essentially the same only in different ways. PADI, NAUI, SSI are probably the widest known certifying agencies, but there are others like YMCA, ACUC.....and more ( I am sure I have forgotten some and some one will remind me ...be gentle)

I believe at 15 you would be a junior diver (my son is also 15 ) after u turn 16 you can apply to become a fully cert OW diver.

OW cert last a lifetime, however you may be required to prove your diving abilities if u stop diving for quite some time and then restart.

Hey u don't just dive in the ocean. We dive in quarries, rivers, lakes, and in Texas they even dive in watering troughs............or was that stock tanks...........in either case they dive with their cows.............

Hang around and read the other threads and I am sure you will find useful information and get few chuckles...............

Good answers Butch... exactly what I would have said.

As for not much travel and not near the ocean I live in the heart of texas and dive mostly lakes, but when I can get to better waters I plan on it!

BTW: Welcome aboard hope2divesoon!

Hello.. Welcome to the Scuba Board.. You should expect to pay roughly and this is what I heard around 1 thousand 4 Hundred for equipment. You can be certified at the age of 15 but you will only will have a Jr. C-card. You will only able to dive with someone 18 and that has theie O/W Course done! You should get certified because certification last all you life I guess that's what I heard..??

There's My Advise..

N1Hawk

Originally posted by hope2divesoon
hi. ive always been interested in the ocean and have been wanting to scuba dive for quite a long time. I just started actually considering getting certified and buying everything, but I have a few questions first.
1. What is the difference between the different certifications?

2. What is some good equipment(everything), and how much can i expect to pay?

3. Can I get certified at 15.

4. Would it be worth it to get certified if my family doesn't travel much and I don't live by the ocean. This is probably the most important, even though its a kind of stupid question. How long does a certification last? could i get certified now and dive when im a bit older?

Thank you

Originally posted by syruss32
Good answers Butch... exactly what I would have said.

As for not much travel and not near the ocean I live in the heart of texas and dive mostly lakes, but when I can get to better waters I plan on it!

BTW: Welcome aboard hope2divesoon!

sure agree with your twin hehehe....

Actually Butch has summarized things quite well (proud of you son)

Welcome to the fun, and to board.

I am glad this is a lifetime cert cause I'd hate to have to go through it again and end up with another story for "instructor from hell"

So what should I get next? Nitrox or Rescue Diver?

I mean really could you see me rescuing someone, I would rather be the one checking out the gear that the dead diver still has. This is a great way to pick up some new stuff.

Originally posted by syruss32
So what should I get next? Nitrox or Rescue Diver?
I'd go with TDI Nitrox next (can refer you to a very good instructor for this, he is the one me and CavernQT are taking Technical instruction from). One evening of class, does not require any dives.

Nitrox is more useful to you now at the level of diving you have described yourself at (IMHO). Rescue is a good course, but get some dives under your new AOW belt buckle.

I will be at Athens next weekend doing my o/w stuff for my rescue certification if you want to show up and watch. And I can introduce you to one of the best instructors in D/FW.

--TM

Welcome to the finest board, SCUBA or otherwise on the entire net. I hope you learn as much and meet as many nice people as I have.

As for your questions...

1) To some the differences are myriad, and to others they are mostly minor. I fall in the somewhere in between group. I was PADI OW certified, and have gone all the way to Div Master, and I have love every minute of it. PADI keeps things as recreational as possible... other agancies may demand a bit more from you. Search the SCUBAboard for threads that will expound more on this subject.

2) Depends on whether you want to own or rent... You HAVE to have mask, snorkle, fins, wet-suit, & weights... the other stuff you can rent until you know and can afford what you want.

3) PADI certifies as young as 11 for OW, although there are some major restrictions until you hit 15. Certs are for life.

4) By all means... the quicker you get wet the quicker you will learn to move closer to the ocean. Of course you might nee to wait a few years to make that decision. Family vacations can always be by the sea, and who knows, maybe you get mom or dad to get certified with you? I love to dive with my 12 year old son (alas, my 17 year old daughter has been avoiding it).

Originally posted by TexasMike
I'd go with TDI Nitrox next (can refer you to a very good instructor for this, he is the one me and CavernQT are taking Technical instruction from). One evening of class, does not require any dives.

Nitrox is more useful to you now at the level of diving you have described yourself at (IMHO). Rescue is a good course, but get some dives under your new AOW belt buckle.

I will be at Athens next weekend doing my o/w stuff for my rescue certification if you want to show up and watch. And I can introduce you to one of the best instructors in D/FW.

--TM

Thanks for the referral Mike. I doubt I will make it to Athens next weekend but if you could give me contact info and prices that would be great! Tell him I am a poor soul in need of desperate training!

To clear up some misinformation... PADI starts at o/w at age 10 however you are required to be with a PARENT or dive professional. After you turn 12 you become a jr. open water diver and can dive with a adult over 18 or dive professional. One you turn 15 you get the normal O/W cert card and can dive with whoever you please as long as they are O/W cert. or above. In other words you cant go diving with a friend of yours whos 14.

As for equipment id agree with the rest.. rent for awhile to see what you like. To get everything you need meaning your own BCD, REG, OCTO, etc... your talking on the low side id say.. 600-700 and on the high end you can go crazy and spend thousands of dollars.

I cant speak for other agencies but PADI recommends if you go 6 months or longer without diving you take a SCUBA REVIEW.

If you decide to go ahead and get certified and got any questions and want some info from a instructor let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom