Questions on Diving in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am getting set for a dive + family vacation in Marathon (mostly family, 7 days) and Key Largo (all diving, 4 - 7 days depending on what I can talk my wife into). So we'll probably have about 10 diving days total.

I have the following questions:

Is the drive time between Marathon & KL reliably 1 hour (per Google maps)?

All dive sites are boat only? (No shore dives)?

Do I need to pick place to stay near the dive sites, or anywhere will do as long as we can handle the driving times?

Are all boats pretty much same in terms of where they go and how they arrange dive groups? Should we pick a few dives ops, some a bit north and some a bit south? Or take the multi-day discounts if they are offered?

We are novice divers, but that does not mean beginners. We would like to dive as buddies but of course we want the "best" sites, which gets to the next question:

Should we decide on what dive sites to go to, or realistically are we going to just go where the boat goes?

And lastly, we want big boat (my wife is seasick-prone) and few people. I am wondering what size boat would be the best trade-off on that one.

Thanks for any help.

Bill & Emily

I would stay in Key Largo if you're there mainly for the diving.
Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort has a great catamaran dive boat for those that are prone to seasickness.

Pirate Island Divers is located at the Mariott and also has a catamaran and are a great bunch to dive with.

There is virtually no shore diving in the Keys but most dives are a very short boat ride away.

You can pick your dive sites based on which dive operators you choose, call and ask where they plan to dive and give them your groups dive experience..

There are many dive operators in Key Largo and by the time this thread is done you will have a million different opinions on which is the best.

Amy Slates is all inclusive resort with dive boat on the premises and a large storage locker for all your wet dive gear.

Marathon to Key Largo is not a bad drive considering that you'll be entertained by the sights, but it is about an hour.

Attachments

• Pirate Island Divers.jpg
    Pirate Island Divers.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 91
  • Amorays.jpg
    Amorays.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I thought the ten max boat size was a good compromise. The cattleboats were just too hectic for us, but a 6 max boat can't handle much sea for sea-sick people.

You didn't mention the size of your group, but maybe a ten max boat would be filled with nearly (or possibly) just your family?

Scuba-do in KL is ten max, and if I'm not mistaken, so is Silent World....and I think both boats are ocean side, which probably knocks ten minutes off the trip too, so there is that.

I felt I had to "shop around" at least on our first trip down there, to decide which operations we liked before committing to a multi-dive card with them, but multi-dive cards save quite a bit of money, especially for a larger group. And makes logistics a lot easier if there is secure gear-storage on site.

Most ops will cater to your wants and needs, and again, depending on the size of the boat, your group may be THE group on board, so you will definitely have a say in the dive destination.

Since you will be with family in Marathon, I would probably use that time to dive or snorkel with the family (Sombrero Reef and Looe Key are great for both, plus there is a famous wreck to dive), and doing family stuff. There is lots of fun things to do in that area that are land based. Staying in KL doesn't really matter where, as everything is a pretty close drive. However, staying in a place that shares a dock with a boat you are going out multiple times with is obviously a plus.

Also, buy ginger pills for your wife, have her pop two when you head out the door. Didn't fail me on this trip, and the first dive the waves were enough that they would normally make me queasy. All natural and you can't take too much ginger. I got mine at Richard's.

I like Conch Republic the best and dive with them most often when in the upper keys. Note that one of their boats is huge!

By in large, you'll go to the sites that are scheduled by the operator unless you are first to make a reservation that day, then many operators will let you pick the site. Operators of six pack boats are more flexible on letting you pick the location but you'll get bounced around more and your wife might be hanging over the side feeding the fish. I've used Quiescence Diving when I'm looking for a six pack experience. Regardless of whether you specified a site or the operator picked it, the boat captain will change the location if the local conditions at the dive site aren't any good.

Every divers dream is to be on a big boat with few other divers but realistically dive charters are not going to stay in business operating big boats with very few divers. So you'll likely have to determine what is most important to you..... diving with only a handful of other people on a smaller boat and run a higher risk of getting seasick or diving with a operator that has a larger boat that is less likely to cause seasickness but might have a lot of divers on that boat. I will note that a few weeks ago, Conch Republic used their big boat (which easily holds 25+ people) when there were only about 8 of us on the dive: we had oodles of space to stretch out. In March, when there were only 4 divers, they used the smaller boat (which is still decent sized).

I usually stick with one operator each trip I take to the Keys, but if it were my first trip, I might try a few just to get a feel for what each offers. Aside from the two I mentioned, I've also been out with Silent World.

I stayed on the north end of Marathon and made it to Conch Republic, on the south end of Taviner, each morning in less than 45 minutes: it would probably take another 5 or 10 minutes to mile marker 101.

http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/
http://www.keylargodiving.com/
http://www.silentworld.com/

Barring any traffic issues, an hour should give you a nice unhurried drive up. We'll be in Marathon 09/28-10/6 as well - will be diving all over the place - Thunderbolt, Looe Key, drift dive on Conch Wall, Fire Coral Cave, Molasses, Sombrero, etc. So far we have trips booked with Tilden's, Ocean Divers, Conch Republic and Looe Key Dive Resort.

I just returned from a trip to the keys and dove with Silent World. I would highly recommend them. Boat is small but you can combat it in terms of seasickness with pills. Captain and everybody else from Silent World were very helpful and patient while gearing up and back on the boat.

I like Conch Republic the best and dive with them most often when in the upper keys. Note that one of their boats is huge!

By in large, you'll go to the sites that are scheduled by the operator unless you are first to make a reservation that day, then many operators will let you pick the site. Operators of six pack boats are more flexible on letting you pick the location but you'll get bounced around more and your wife might be hanging over the side feeding the fish. I've used Quiescence Diving when I'm looking for a six pack experience. Regardless of whether you specified a site or the operator picked it, the boat captain will change the location if the local conditions at the dive site aren't any good.

Every divers dream is to be on a big boat with few other divers but realistically dive charters are not going to stay in business operating big boats with very few divers. So you'll likely have to determine what is most important to you..... diving with only a handful of other people on a smaller boat and run a higher risk of getting seasick or diving with a operator that has a larger boat that is less likely to cause seasickness but might have a lot of divers on that boat. I will note that a few weeks ago, Conch Republic used their big boat (which easily holds 25+ people) when there were only about 8 of us on the dive: we had oodles of space to stretch out. In March, when there were only 4 divers, they used the smaller boat (which is still decent sized).

I usually stick with one operator each trip I take to the Keys, but if it were my first trip, I might try a few just to get a feel for what each offers. Aside from the two I mentioned, I've also been out with Silent World.

I stayed on the north end of Marathon and made it to Conch Republic, on the south end of Taviner, each morning in less than 45 minutes: it would probably take another 5 or 10 minutes to mile marker 101.

Conch Republic Divers
Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations
Silent World Dive Center

Me too and its a shorter drive to Marathon from Taveernier Key.

Scopolamine. Have your wife get a Rx for the transderm scop patch. Put it on the night before and leave it there for up to 3 days. My wife is also prone to sea sickness and got me using them too.

We stayed in key west for the fun part of our trip then moved up to key largo for the diving portion. We used conch republic and could not have been happier. It was especially nice being able to rinse and hang our gear at the shop. You'd be looking at a max of 20 min boat ride to most of the reefs. I would also recommend trying to sneak in a night dive while you're there, that was one of our best dives.

If the whole family is diving, I'd move them to Tavernier or key largo for the diving portion. It's hard to beat a 5 min drive to the boat at 8 in the morning.

Any one had any experience with Captain's Corner, Dive Key West, Strike Zone, in Key West? They are listed with ITT and we are going down in December and would love recommendations - Vandenberg is on our list (1 AOW, 1 OW divers)

Any one had any experience with Captain's Corner, Dive Key West, Strike Zone, in Key West? They are listed with ITT and we are going down in December and would love recommendations - Vandenberg is on our list (1 AOW, 1 OW divers)

iluvtheocean,

I've led a group of 18 divers to the Keys every December for over a decade. Here's what I've seen...

Vandenberg: This is a deep dive, and on a good day it's an AMAZING dive. On a bad day strong currents and/or bad vis could turn a new diver into a landlubber, or just plain get them hurt. It's generally recommended that for a dive over 60' that less experienced and OW divers dive with an instructor or divemaster, and that they're thoroughly coached on the issues of depth, current, wreck dives, etc. A "double dip" on the Vandy is a great day, but not something I'd throw a new diver into without proper (professional) guidance.

Captain's Corner: Our group is mostly comprised of advanced divers. We look after our own and have had no problem. I LOVE the Captain's Corner for their boat and crew, prices, and Leslie at the kiosk, but for a newer pair I'd pay a bit more and seek out more personal attention and look at Southpoint and Dive Key West...

Southpoint Divers: I did my first trip (double dip) to the Vandenberg with them. The price was a bit higher but they ran a VERY tight ship. No detail was overlooked. They were very conscious that everyone had a good time, safely.

Dive Key West: I didn't dive with them but had the same vibe that I got from Southpoint - a tight ship. For safety and enjoyment, on double dip they insisted that we follow a tour led by their divemaster. We didn't choose them because, being divemasters ourselves, we wanted free reign plus they charged a tiny bit more, so we opted out. In hind-sight, a guided tour would have really enhanced our dives AND the "tiny bit more" also entitled us to a hot tub after the dives, and we happened on a chilly day. Moral of the story, pay the extra... SO worth it!!!

Strike Zone: Dove with them once years ago, but was a good time. They seem very far from the Vandenberg, but are close to the Adolphus Busch (another great wreck), and Looe Key Sanctuary. Looe Key is huge with lots to see for such a short ride out. For 15 years I've been diving with Underseas Inc, just around the corner. Same pontoon boat type, comparable prices, but more "island flavor".

Enjoy the Keys - my favorite place on earth!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom