Questions getting certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medc26

Registered
Reaction score
This next week my husband,myself and my mother will all be getting our OW certification. My husband and I did discover scuba this past may in Cozumel and loved it we would welcome any advice you can give for next week.
Thanks
Teresa

Relax and have fun. Don't get aggravated if you don't get something the very first try. I had trouble with a snorkel swim and knew it was the snorkel. My instructor swore it was me. Turns out I was right :wink: The snorkel had a small leak in the bend that wasn't visible to the naked eye.

It's great that you already have a dive team put together!!

Happy diving!

1. Do all your bookwork in advance of class- the class will make more sense
2. Enjoy the pool time, and learn the skills at you own pace.
3. For certain, purchase you own mask, snorkel and fins, and strongly consider purchasing other equipment.
4. Wear the exact equipment, including exposure suit, in the pool at least once before wearing it for your open water dives.
5. See my blog- DivemasterDennis, and look at the entries regarding not overthinking and the suggestions for your open water dives about being on time, etc. You can find them at my profile page here on scuba board or on my website, scubasnobs.com

It's nice to have your own gear, and if you can afford it, and you plan to keep diving in the future then they are worthwhile investments but I do not necessarily recommend buying them in advance of certification. Also do not be pushed by salespeople into buying anything that you do not want, but they say you need, unless you know you want them. Rental gear is usually sufficient for the training, and I've seen plenty of people get half way through their training and realise they don't actually want to continue.

Yes - having your own mask, fins and exposure suit is great, but I would personally hold off on investing what might amount to several hundred dollars until you actually know what you need. These items can become very personal (I almost wept when somebody crushed my favourite mask with a tank) and they need to be correct for *you* not what your instructor thinks is correct. Consider also that if your rental equipment is not perfect, then being able to confidently deal with those problems makes you more confident underwater, just in case your perfectly fitting mask springs a leak one day. When it comes to equipment, try before you buy if possible, and don't forget, a good diver should be able to dive confidently regardless of the equipment they are wearing.

Also don't forget that you are going on vacation - if you buy a lot of stuff make sure your excess baggage allows it!

Defnitely do as much homework in advance as possible. There is a huge amount of material available and although you don't specify the agency, the PADI Open Water manual (for example) covers a huge amount of information that is not actually required for certification, but is invaluable nonetheless.

Defintely relax and enjoy and have fun! Some of the skills may take some time to master so don't beat yourself up if you don't get it right first time. Have confidence in your instructor and if your instructor does not make you feel confident, find another one. Don't be pushed into doing something you are not comfortable with. If necessary, ask to repeat things for practice.

Welcome to the underwater world! You may end up like me - I walked into the water 12 years ago and never really left... enjoy it, it's awesome!

Cheers,

C.

Don't buy all of your gear before you start your course. Wait to buy all of your gear (besides a mask and fins. who needs a snorkel really?) until after you have been diving for a few months. In that few months, demo as much gear as you can (regs, bcd's [try jackets, back inflates, and bp/w's], etc), get a feel for what type of gear you like. You don't need the most expensive. But, try different gear to begin with before you buy. You may end up buying twice. My girlfriend has a nearly brand new set of regs and some other gear. She hasn't spent a dime. I, on the other hand, have bought 2 brand new sets of gear, less than a year apart from each other. I bought too early, before I really decided where I wanted to go with my diving. Take your time with gear choices.

All good responses from experts. I assume you are doing the class locally, which I always recommend. As DDennis said, know the manual thoroughly beforehand. I'm amazed when people show up for a class and haven't cracked the book at all. I bought most of my stuff used during and right after the class. Still have it (except the hood). Washing it all after each dive makes stuff last forvever. Take your time buying a tank(s). I got a good deal on a new steel 120, sold it. Lots of air, but weighed a ton when walking around with it on your back.

You are going on a vacation, so make it a vacation. Enjoy yourself.

When I did my OW course, I arrived with a towel and a costume. I had no idea what to look for in fins (open or closed heel, split or not), nor any idea of what to look for in a mask (why are some frames clear and some black anyway). Maybe my instructor was going the extra mile, but as part of the class room sessions he showed us each of the different aspects of the equipment and discussed the advantages and disadvantages. Then, until you know what is right for you, borrow different types of equipment (if you can) and experiment with the options available. Only once you know what works for you should you buy anything. (and realize that every shop owner will explain why the particular line he carries is the best for you).

I did my course before the option of internet self study. I arrived and was given a book. The instructor diligently worked through the book with us (takes a couple of extra hours). Now days, I think you can do the internet self study, or if you get your hands on a book in advance, I would read / study it before I get there. I have wasted the equivalent of 2 days of vacation time studying and in retrospect would rather have done that at home.

With regard your practical training (the pool sessions), if you need to do something two or three or ten times, remember its a vacation - this is supposed to be fun.

Just enjoy every minute of it, every part of the learning process is sweet and valuable. Great team you got out there. Cheers!

Sounds like you already have it nailed
Look after your mom, as much as she
lets you

Back
Top Bottom