Questions getting certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not say what agency your course is with. Some will tell you that it makes no difference at the Open Water level. This is not at all true. There are major differences in standards among agencies and before you choose any I'd advise you to look into them. Before you sign any papers or pay any money ask the instructor or shop to show you in writing the standards of the agency you will certified through. They should be happy to show you these. If they say they can't or don't have them handy do not sign up for the class until they produce them. If they do show you, ask them how they differ from other programs. If they say they don't that's a lie. As I stated there are major differences and an experienced shop or instructor should be able to note them. I have the standards for 7 different agencies in my library. They were neither hard nor overly expensive to get.

Next did you interview the instructor and/or shop to make sure you are a good fit with each other? You should put as much effort into doing this as you would if you were hiring an employee you were going to trust with your most valued posessions. In this case those posessions are your lives. Don't choose a class with less thought than you would a new TV. Many people make this mistake.

If you are not sure how to choose a good class read this before going and ask the questions of the instructor or shop. They should be more than happy to answer them.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

Then read this thread before signing up for the class and ask questions of the instructor based on it.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

Next I'd ask you to consider getting a copy of my book: SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver.

In it are chapters on choosing an instructor, shop, training, and gear. It is available from me for a little as $10 for the Pdf version that I email to you. There are a number of topics that are often not included in your initial training that I feel should be.

Another thing to consider is what type of diving do you hope to do after the course. Only trips to tropical locations, local diving in quarries and lakes, or a combination. This will have a large bearing on what skills you will need to learn intially. If tropical only dives led by a guide then some programs seem geared to that in content and skills. Local diving in the midwest means more gear, no guides or DM's, and you will need to be more self sufficient. I recommend a course that also incorporates basic rescue skill in the OW class such as panicked diver, unconscious diver from depth, and supporting a diver at the surface as a bare minimum for any OW diver.

As for gear. Most courses require you to have your own mask, snorkel, fins, and boots. Fit is critical for the mask and you should try on as many as necessary to get the right one. Price is not an indicator of a good mask. One that costs $100 and does not fit is junk. The $30 one that seals well on your face and is comfortable is priceless. For the snorkel get the cheapest one you can without any gimmicks like flappers and levers that make it what is known as a dry snorkel. Try to get one that rolls or folds up so you can shove it in a pocket once under water. Boots are another fit item. You don't have to spend a fortune. Good boots that will work for most can be had for 30 bucks. Fins are another item you do not have to go broke on. Whether paddle or split open heel ones are the preferred style as they can be gotten off and on quickly and allow you to put them on after you get into the water after walking over the gravel, hot sand, rocks etc in your boots that you wear with the fins. Very good fins can be had for under $100 bucks. $140 will get you great ones. Don't accept the first pair the shop or instructor recommends. Especially if they are expensive. Ask to try them first in the water or that model in the water first.

ANy more questions just ask.

Mask and Snorkely at the very least its about a 100 dollar lay out but having a mask that fits can make or break it for you. The rest of the gear my recommendation is after you get or while doing your certification try out different gear (if possible). I tired a back inflate bc as well as wrap around I hated the back inflate. Anyhow after a few dives in Maui I hated the wrap around so I tried the back inflate again a few times and a year and a half later thats what I own and am considering a back plate and wing now.

Fins it took me a year to decide on fins, I tired split fins, jet fins, different makes and models I knew I liked the Scuba Pro Nova's (my instructor let me try his out ) but was not sure I wanted to put out close to 200 bucks for fins. I know own a pair of novas.

Exposure suit well that just depends on where you dive and how often. I dive mostly cold water so went with a 5mm pinnacle Moreno lined suit. I can dive it almost all year long when it drops below 50 I can put on a vest or shorty to increase my comfort but have dove in 48 degree as well as 75 degree and did not feel the need for something else. (has me covered for most of what I will dive) if I go somewhere really warm then I just will either buy a inexspesnive 3mm or skin and use that on the occasion as they arise.

Regs we tried various scuba pro and aqua lung regs during our OW and AOW, did not like the g250 as it was kinda bulky and tried to float out of my mouth, dove the mk25/a700 set up six or so times and liked the way it breathed and the adjustment factors with it as well as the parts card, so thats what we went with.

We had the luxury of being able to try out several different reg set ups, different types of suits different neoprene ect, various fins, boots gloves and BC's . If that is possible I would try some stuff if you find something you like dive it a few times. I see tons of gear (gear that a few shops in our travels tried to push on us) online for sale that has been used only during open water or something like that. Makes me think did this person quite diving or buy all the gear that someone said they must have and find that it did not really suit them or their needs and either up graded or just gave up cause they were not comfortable diving.

Hope this helps , sorry for the long winded post.

Advice for your class? Well, you've already gotten a lot of it. I echo the recommendations to do the reading and the reviews before class; you'll make much more efficient use of your instructor's time that way. Don't forget to scrub your mask with toothpaste, and possibly invest in a defog solution. Two of the biggest issues I see with students are masks that don't fit and leak, and masks we can't get defogged. It's no fun to go through your pool sessions unable to see!

If you tend to get cold in the water, consider investing in a wetsuit prior to class. Thin ones aren't expensive, and you will enjoy your pool time much more if you aren't shivering.

Listen carefully to your instructor's description of what you are going to do, and watch the demonstrations closely. If you have videos, watch them before class -- it helps! If you are having problems with a skill, INSIST on time to repeat the skill until you are comfortable with it. One successful mask clear without choking does not mean a skill is mastered.

As much as possible, play in the water. You should have some time in your pool sessions for free swimming and working on buoyancy and kicks. That time is some of the most valuable time in the class, because some things about diving can only be learned by diving.

Above all, have fun with it. Diving is a wonderful activity. If you have a few issues with things in your class, don't get discouraged. Read the journal of my OW class that's in my sig line -- if I can learn to do this, anybody can!

One thing I would suggest is to be open and honest with your instruction. If you don't get something, ask the question until you are satisfied. Many times I see students who don't speak up because of fear, intimidation or whatever and this usually leads to apprehension and anxiety during some part of the training. Communicate with your instructor, they will appreciate it.

Also when you do your skills, take your time, it is not a race, better to do it slow and right than fast and wrong.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom