Questions for the Roatan's pros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockbeauty

Registered
Reaction score
If your flight is not direct to the islands (i.e. San Pedro Sula), are you flying out of Roatan the same day that you are taking your internationnal flight back home? I have been reading (and heard, when I was in Utila last april) that there are chances that the flights from the islands to LaCeiba or SAP are cancelled due to bad weather...is that have happened to you? Did you miss your return flight?

In your opinion, you think it is risky to fly out of Roatan at 7 or 9 am to LaCeiba, and then, fly LaCeiba to SAP if my flight is at 13h30 the same day?
Last time from Utila, I took the boat the day before my departure and took the bus at 7am to SAP...I'll skip the bus this time since the hijacking make me a little more nervous.

My other question is regarding reservations. I had no reservations last time (in april) in Utila and no problem.
I am not the all-included type and I love having the liberty to stay longer in a place I like or go away if I don't. July looks a lot more busy (or is it because I am going to Roatan and it's more popular?). I have reserved my first 4 nights in west end (Posada arco Iris) but I don't know if I should reserved the last 4 nights (maybe the sundancer in sandy bay, anybody went there?)?
What about Utila? Should I try to get reservation there as well?

rockbeauty:
If your flight is not direct to the islands (i.e. San Pedro Sula), are you flying out of Roatan the same day that you are taking your internationnal flight back home? I have been reading (and heard, when I was in Utila last april) that there are chances that the flights from the islands to LaCeiba or SAP are cancelled due to bad weather...is that have happened to you? Did you miss your return flight?

In your opinion, you think it is risky to fly out of Roatan at 7 or 9 am to LaCeiba, and then, fly LaCeiba to SAP if my flight is at 13h30 the same day?
Last time from Utila, I took the boat the day before my departure and took the bus at 7am to SAP...I'll skip the bus this time since the hijacking make me a little more nervous.

My other question is regarding reservations. I had no reservations last time (in april) in Utila and no problem.
I am not the all-included type and I love having the liberty to stay longer in a place I like or go away if I don't. July looks a lot more busy (or is it because I am going to Roatan and it's more popular?). I have reserved my first 4 nights in west end (Posada arco Iris) but I don't know if I should reserved the last 4 nights (maybe the sundancer in sandy bay, anybody went there?)?
What about Utila? Should I try to get reservation there as well?

You may want to post this question in the South America forum.

Alex

It doesn't really make sense, but, almost all the Roatan threads are in the South America Forum. I guess the mods had to draw the lines somewhere, and, someone will always be unhappy with the lines.

I don't think you will have a problem flying out the same day. If you are taking the morning flight to SAP and flying out of SAP at 2:30pm you should be fine. There is always a risk of delayed flights due to weather but then again you have that in the U.S. My last trip to Utila, I flew from San Francisco to Utila the same day and then flew the return trip in one day. No problems. The only thing I would caution against is making sure that your connection times are long enough. The airlines down there like to fly on "island time" and if you only have 45 minutes or an hour to make a connection, then you may have a problem.
I am going again next month and have booked all my flights for same day travel...

parrotman:
I don't think you will have a problem flying out the same day. If you are taking the morning flight to SAP and flying out of SAP at 2:30pm you should be fine. There is always a risk of delayed flights due to weather but then again you have that in the U.S. My last trip to Utila, I flew from San Francisco to Utila the same day and then flew the return trip in one day. No problems. The only thing I would caution against is making sure that your connection times are long enough. The airlines down there like to fly on "island time" and if you only have 45 minutes or an hour to make a connection, then you may have a problem.
I am going again next month and have booked all my flights for same day travel...

Thanks Parrotman, I think that's what I'll do...that leaves me with more time on the island as well and no rush to find somewhere OK to sleep in LaCeiba...Did you reserve a place to stay in Utila?

Yes, I have booked the place that I am going to stay, but I am meeting up with a group. I have heard that it is not difficult to find a place once you arrive. Don't know for sure.

well, Honduras is in Central America, and Roatan is in the Caribbean sea...

so putting the Roatan posts in South America made no sense

this forum is now called Central and South America, as we feel that name more
accurately describes the geographical makeup of the threads in here

H2Andy:
well, Honduras is in Central America, and Roatan is in the Caribbean sea...

so putting the Roatan posts in South America made no sense

this forum is now called Central and South America, as we feel that name more
accurately describes the geographical makeup of the threads in here

woooowoooooo!!!! Once again, we have a sense of belonging, not just longing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom