Questions/Advise for Blackbeards trip 9/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kersny:
I think after the initial dive, your husband will do the dive. Just a matter of getting his diving legs.

Im betting the same thing... but meanwhile he thinks he is pretty set on the answer being "no". I'm not one to take to kindly to being told what I am "allowed" to do (and he is well aware of this), so I am sure we will make a determination of wheter or not we went to do it when the time comes. But I'm betting on "do it".

We are taking lots of bonine and I got some sea bands for hte crossing. Almost everyone we have talked to says "you will need it".. :D . Anyone used sea bands....do they work?

elease- thanks for the link to your pictures! Looks awesome!

Sue - I agree that the act of diving itself is more dangerous than the shark dive.. now if I can just get DH to agree! Just doing the dive myself (with my sister) is an option but it would likely leave me with one upset husband. So we will just play it ear and pray that he changes his mind.

i did have the sea bands and it was a total waste of money on that initial crossing. i was sick as a dog! to make matters worse, the waves were crashing up over the deck and we were soaked, cold, sick, and could not sit! honestly, i was not kidding when i said to sleep through it! you will thank me later! :)

also, the shark dive was amazing! you must do it. it felt completely safe as your back is protected by the semi-circular coral head so that nothing can"sneak up" on you from behind! it was breathtaking and fun. i think when the time actually comes, even your husband will not want to miss it. just play it by ear. even if he doesn't decide to go, don't let that stop you.

i want to hear all about it on your return!

expodave:
I will be going on Blackbeards for the 5 day trip Oct. 1. Sounds like a good time with plenty of dives. Haven't heard any bad info on Blackbeards. i will post my review and pictures when I return.[/QUOTE]

ExpoDave-- Just wanted to wish you luck with your BB's trip Oct. 1. Our trip this weekend (Sept 17-22) was cancelled due to the threats posed by Jeanne at the time. But far better to be safe than chased by a hurricane!! We have rescheduled for Oct 8-Oct 12 so we will be looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Hope the weather gods are nicer to you and all the hurricanes stay away!

cindy0519:
ExpoDave-- Just wanted to wish you luck with your BB's trip Oct. 1. Our trip this weekend (Sept 17-22) was cancelled due to the threats posed by Jeanne at the time. But far better to be safe than chased by a hurricane!! We have rescheduled for Oct 8-Oct 12 so we will be looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Hope the weather gods are nicer to you and all the hurricanes stay away!
Thanks,
expodave

cindy0519:
kernsey and others who may have done a BB's trip...

How was the shark dive at Bull Run? DH is a bit against doing such a dive as he thinks it is not safe. While I on the other hand, am :xyxnervou but would really like to do it. I understand that there is an element of danger as these are live, wild animals but my opinion, if this couldn't be done safely BB's certainly wouldn't take their passengers down to do it. Afterall coming back with a person injured (or worse) by a shark certainly won't sell any trips for them.

Anyway, what was your experience with this dive. Did you do it and if so do you feel it was safely conducted and that a newbie can do this dive safely? Or should we skip it?

Just thought I'd jump in here and tell you that you MUST do the shark dive or you'll be missing the best dive of the week. I went on Blackbeard's last May with just my basic OW cert. just completed and had a blast. The shark dive is well supervised and you feel very safe although the sharks definitely make your adrenaline pump. They have plenty of experience with diver's ( certainly more than I had ) and seemed to just be enjoying their meal. The dive afterwards is fun because the sharks are just swimming around with you. Very cool!

For a new diver, Blackbeard's will be a good introduction as it was for me. The comraderie is great and the crew are great fun! Enjoy the night out in Bimini!

Travler

Travler108:
Just thought I'd jump in here and tell you that you MUST do the shark dive or you'll be missing the best dive of the week.

Traveler - thanks for the input on the shark dive.

I agree and really don't want to skip this dive. Hoping that DH will comfortable with doing it, especially since he has now had more time to think about it - thanks to Jeanne :wink: . We are all really excited to go and delaying the trip has helped to ease some of the nerves ...so hopefully we will not be sitting this dive out.

We are now scheduled to leave on Oct 8 - praying for no additional hurricanes (as I am sure most of the state of FL is too). Everything is still packed and sitting in the dining room waiting for next Friday.

Back
Top Bottom