Questions/Advise for Blackbeards trip 9/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindy0519

Reaction score
We are going on our first live aboard (Black Beards) next Friday and while we have a few ocean dives under our belts we certainly still consider ourselves "newbies". In the brochure BB's indicates that the crew is "happy" to act as a guide but when we call nobody will comment, with any detail, on how this works. Do we pay an additional fee to the crew member how does this or do we just provide them with a hefty tip. The tip doesnt really seem fair since I believe the entire crew shares the tips at the end of the trip.

While we are very comfortable in the water and "could" do the dives by ourselves we like to have a guide along just to ensure that we dont get lost etc. plus we really like that they know the area and can point out some cool stuff we might otherwise miss. Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions on how this might be handled?

Any advice/suggestions is much appreciated!

You will go out in groups unless you specifically want to be alone. People tend to dive together. It's all very casual. Sometimes the DM accompanies you, sometimes, he/she doesn't. That totally depends on the divers skills and the conditions, I imagine.
Tip the crew via the captain at least 10% at the end of the week. (at least ~80 bucks). They deserve it. :) If you really really like the services of a crewmember, then by all means, tip them additionally, (and separately). Have fun, it's a great operation! Be sure to report back.

Thanks for the quick reply!

We definately plan to tip at least 10% of the cost pp. We are only doing the short trip (4 day) since this is the first time, we figured it was just long enough to get some good experience and not so long we would get worn out.
Great to hear that people tend to dive together, we aren't really comfortable about diving somewhere completely new all by ourselves just yet. The quarries are one thing but the ocean is a whole 'nother game.

Definately will report back when we return. We are really exicted about the trip and praying that all the hurricanes stay away :wink: !

Any suggestions for things that are "must" brings or things to leave behind? We are planning to bring our own gear and not rent anything but since we are new to this don't want to take things we dont/wont need.

Their list is comprehensive and you should follow it. Bring everything on it! I think the seat cushion is the only thing that's fairly optional, you'll be fine without one. Otherwise, heed their advice.
One thing that I tell everyone, YMMV: I was there in Nov, and brought a half mm full suit and a 3 mm shorty, and I was cold. I wished I had brought a longsleeved shorty, 3 or 6 mm.

SueMermaid:
I wished I had brought a longsleeved shorty, 3 or 6 mm.

I am always cold too (even in the balmy water in Florida so dispite what DH says I am not a whimp :11ztongue ). I am planning on bringing a full length/long sleeved 3mm and wearing some tropical gloves and something on my head. Does this seem like enough?

Their list does seem pretty comprehensive - though it seems like a lot of stuff for 4/5 days - when I am going to be in a bathing suit/wetsuit most of the time. Agree with leaving the seat cushion behind.. I don't think we will be sitting a lot anyway (at least I hope not).

It's hard to say what will be right for you, but that sounds okay to me.
Have fun! :)
They may not let you wear gloves. I am not sure about this operation, but it's not unusual for a DM to ask you to remove them.

We are talking gloves mainly for using on the moring lines and just to keep my hands from chilling. We definately follow the "no touch" policy for anything on the reef so if they ask that we not wear them no big deal.

Looks like Ivan may also be heading to Florida, hoping that it doesn't and if it must that it does it quickly and move on so that our trip isnt threatened by high/rough seas. Bonine will our best friend either way :D

Cindy0519,

Most of the crewmembers at Blackbeard's are instructor rated and when their duties allow are able to dive with guests if they request someone accompany them. Blackbeard's treats certified divers as adults and allow them to plan their own dives and take responsiblity for how they want to dive...within the recreational limits. There are always fellow passengers that are willing to buddy up with you as well, and most trips have scuba club groups that have a few dm's and instructor rated people among them. You'll have plenty of people in the water with you on every dive site.

Take the gloves as using the mooring line is the way to go, and it can often be encrusted with barnicles, algae, etc. in a few places. The dm will not tell you to take them off. Also, take as little with you as possible on the trip regarding personal items. A few t-shirts, bathing suits, shorts and a towel are fine. No one cares that you might wear the same shirt more than once. Whatever you bring on the boat that isn't scuba gear will be in your bunk with you, so only take what you're willing to sleep with in your bunk. It's a very casual trip and quarters are cramped, so you will get to know others on the boat. They do have a storage lockup at the dock for your luggage (empty, or otherwise), so you don't have to take it with you for the week.

hope that helps

12v

We just came back from the mid august trip. This was our first liveaboard and without hesitation I can say that Blackbeards was a great! first liveaboard.

I dove with a 3mm although most of the other divers used a skin. About 3/4 of us wore gloves as a precaution for the coral and mooring lines. The 3mm was very comfortable and not hot. Just for the protection from the coral, it's a good idea to wear something.

My wife isn't a diver, so she fished, read, and snorkled. I joined another group and could have dived with virtually anyone on board.

The group was mixed with a dive group from PA and other couples from across the US. The comeraderie was great. The dive master at the beginning of the dive will spell out where to go.

You don't have to dive deep, and you will have no problem meeting and joining a group dive.

The boat had lots of clothespins for hanging up to dry.

Like everyone else I brought too much clothing. Here is what I recommend.

1.Waterproof rain coat or equal. It squalled 3-4 times and we stayed on deck enjoying the rain.

2.2 swim suits. 1 for diving and the other for sitting around.

3.1 pair shorts to wear onto the boat and then for the 1 night shore leave.

4.Sandals for off shore. BUt on the boat deck shoes or shower shoes. When the deck is wet it does get slippery. Tennis shoes are a waste.

5.3 t-shirts. They will last all week and you will buy others on Wednesday on the boat.

6.2-towels. One for on the deck after diving and the other at the berth for general use.

7-Underwear.....but everyone lives in a bathing suit until night.

we generally did 4 dives the first 3 days and then 3 dives the last 2 days. (3 night dives, 1 shark dive)

Things to remember:

When settling down in Bull run remember to look below. I ended up standing on a nurse shark without realizing it. Fortunately this shark must have had a lot of experience with divers of my caliber.

I came with 21 dives under my belt and left with 39. Dives ranged from 2 dives at 100ft and the rest between 35-85ft.

Hurricane Charley bypassed us, and viz was only 80ft in some places.

The crew was fabulous. We were on the pirates Lady and Capt. Paul ran a great crew. Divemaster Jack (nicknamed as capt ron after the movie) is a great help and will give you directions.

The divemaster could also offer you a navigation course (padi) if you want.

The food prepared in the galley was excellent as was the rum punch.

Cushions were briefly used but not necessary.

Suntan lotion and hats a definite.

Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom