Questions about wearing a BP/W w/o a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How many of you dive in tropical water without a wetsuit?

Is is still as comfortable with just a t-shirt?

If it is, what specific setup do you dive? Any padding on the straps?

I'm considering making the switch, especially for travel reasons but I never dive anywhere a wetsuit is needed.

Anyone ever wore DSS's Kydex backplate over a t-shirt?

If I were walking far, I would consider padded sleeves on the shoulders. Off of a boat, no padding is fine.

How many of you dive in tropical water without a wetsuit?

Is is still as comfortable with just a t-shirt?

If it is, what specific setup do you dive? Any padding on the straps?

I'm considering making the switch, especially for travel reasons but I never dive anywhere a wetsuit is needed.

Anyone ever wore DSS's Kydex backplate over a t-shirt?

I have:wink: Stainless Steel, or Kydex, t-shirt, no shirt, no problem. Single tanks? Using al 80's you will have only about 42-44lbs on the rig (dry) anyway.

I should point out that unless dry travel weight is the absolutely most important factor, that you will typically benefit from a SS plate in tropical conditions with a buoyant tank.

Tobin

I dive the local lake during summer months with no wetsuit. I have a DR AL plate and a hog harness. No problems for me even with a small walk to get down to the water.

I also dove Bonaire without a wetsuit and all was good. Sure, if there is a bit of a walk then the straps can dig a little, but it was relatively minor. Just make sure that the bolts that secure the wing to the plate don't protrude far enough to dig into your back.

I dove Florida with a DSS stainless backplate with Hog harness wearing a rash guard and x-shorts....absolutely no problem.

Rash guard probably better than t-shirt so harness can glide over the material easily when getting into/out of gear. Rash guard will likely rinse and dry better between dives than t-shirt.

OxyCheq and perhaps a few other places have the neoprene shoulder harness covers, I think I saw them listed on the scubatoys web page. I have several sets from AquaCraft (long gone) and they serve well for T shirt diving. Though a fan of a T shirt and swimsuit for diving I have to say the rash guards do better and dry faster and don't bag and drag and flop like a T shirt.

N

I dove my Halcyon a couple of times in shorts and t-shirt and it was pretty comfortable.

Get a set of Tobin's delrin thumbwheels instead of the standard stainless wingnuts. With no suit, sometimes you feel those little wings trying to remove your spine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom