Questions about using a heavy back plate with a single tank PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at purchasing my first wing setup and am considering using a 6mm sub gravity stainless steel back plate which is 10.1 lbs and then using two weighted hip pockets (not sure what size) was thinking 5lbs each. If I ditched my waist weight would I suddenly become head heavy during an emergency ascent with a 10lb back plate? This would be solely for diving in WA state. All salt water.

I am just hoping to get the best balance and not have to use a bunch of pocket weight. But if I should get a standard 4lb back plate I can. Just trying to create the most balanced tech bcd I can from the start.

This would be with a hog 32lb wing. Unless this isn't enough buoyancy. Then I'll have to figure out an alternative. Maybe a single tank 40 or the xdeep zeos 38? Any suggestions?

Also can I use this setup with my current standard single aluminum 80s? I don't plan on buying any new tanks for awhile. Am considering two steel hp 100s or 117s though. Not sure yet.

I use a Aqua Lung SOL AFX 8/7mm hooded wetsuit with 7mm boots and gloves.
Your goal should be to get a plate that minimizes the amount of additional weight you need (preferably to zero). It should not shift your center of gravity too much, and since the wing large source of buoyancy) will be aligned with the plate and tank (main sources of weight), so should balance out.
If you planned to dive in multiple environments that require differing amounts of weight, I would recommend you consider buying 2 regular plates (4 to 6 lb each) and then use just 1 when you only need 6 lb and stack them together when you need 10 or more lb. But if you only dive where you need 10 lb just get the heavy plate.

Your goal should be to get a plate that minimizes the amount of additional weight you need (preferably to zero). It should not shift your center of gravity too much, and since the wing large source of buoyancy) will be aligned with the plate and tank (main sources of weight), so should balance out.
If you planned to dive in multiple environments that require differing amounts of weight, I would recommend you consider buying 2 regular plates (4 to 6 lb each) and then use just 1 when you only need 6 lb and stack them together when you need 10 or more lb. But if you only dive where you need 10 lb just get the heavy plate.
It depends, having that much non-ditch able weight can create rig balance issues. You might also find it better to keeps some of that weight movable so you can either use a v-weight pouch, tail weights or trim pockets to help trim. Certain doubles for instance are very head heavy and switching to a lighter backplate and using a tail heavy v-weight might create better trim.

For me personally in doubles, I use a 3 mm / 5 lb SS backplate, and a Halycon weight pouch so I can put the 8 lbs I need as low as possible to not be head heavy. EDIT: I use Hollis F1s as well, as they are heavy/negative. With roung bottomed steel tanks (unlike the flat ones you can get in Europe), I cannot use my Deep 6 Eddy fins in a dry suit and twinset.

Back
Top Bottom