Questions about using a heavy back plate with a single tank PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cascadeskyline89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at purchasing my first wing setup and am considering using a 6mm sub gravity stainless steel back plate which is 10.1 lbs and then using two weighted hip pockets (not sure what size) was thinking 5lbs each. If I ditched my waist weight would I suddenly become head heavy during an emergency ascent with a 10lb back plate? This would be solely for diving in WA state. All salt water.

I am just hoping to get the best balance and not have to use a bunch of pocket weight. But if I should get a standard 4lb back plate I can. Just trying to create the most balanced tech bcd I can from the start.

This would be with a hog 32lb wing. Unless this isn't enough buoyancy. Then I'll have to figure out an alternative. Maybe a single tank 40 or the xdeep zeos 38? Any suggestions?

Also can I use this setup with my current standard single aluminum 80s? I don't plan on buying any new tanks for awhile. Am considering two steel hp 100s or 117s though. Not sure yet.

I use a Aqua Lung SOL AFX 8/7mm hooded wetsuit with 7mm boots and gloves.

You'll be fine - I use a regular SS plate and a couple weight pockets for diving aluminum tanks too. If you switch to big steel tanks, you might want to re evaluate as you'll need less weight overall.

I have a SS setup for aluminum and an Aluminum setup for steel tanks - works for me

Standard steel plates are 5 or 6 lbs, nit 4.

I know you said PNW.. Here in the Great Lakes, if I'm diving single tank (always steel) and my dry suit, I use a 16# backplate, and if needed, trim weights and waist weights. I use a 32# wing with tanks as big as a Worthington HP120.

Never an issue.

I dive a 10lb freedom plate and Zeagle pouches on the waist strap, I use an H harness (not one piece set up. You should be fine.

The question seems to be.. will suit compression on a thick wetsuit and the (possible)
use of a heavy steel tank along with an extra heavy plate make it very difficult to ascend after a potential BC failure? If someone is using a dry suit, the parameters change a lot, I think.

The issue of weight distribution during an emergency ascent is NOT an issue, the total amount of unditchable ballast is.

I'm not sure I know the answer to your question, but you should make sure you are taking advice from similarly configured individuals.

I dive in the PNW with a 6 lb SS backplate, two 5 lb weights in pockets on the upper cam band, and another 4-6 lbs of ditchable weight in quick release pockets on the waist belt. All this with a 32 lb HOG wing

I have used the steel BP and 32 lb wing in warm water with an AL 80 and find I need no extra weight

If I ditched my waist weight would I suddenly become head heavy during an emergency ascent
I don't think it would be an issue. I routinely take 6 lbs off my waist strap when going from salt to fresh water. No impact to my trim.

You need to make sure you're rig will float itself with everything full, and you need to make sure you have enough ditch-able weight to be able to swim up the rig if your BC fails.

When you go to doubles you're going to need a second wing, the reality is switching to doubles changes so much that you'll likely end up with a different plate and wing to get things to balance out the way you want them.
The other thing is if you end up with a canister light which is really nice for the PNW you might need to re-evalulate how you're adding weight. I really like the halcyon weighted STA for single tank diving.

Dive a balanced rig, that way you can always kick up to the surface with a failed wing and ditch weight there.

I'd also look at trim pockets. Weight distribution is also very important when it comes to correct weighting. You may want to also consider P-weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom