Questions about Manila to Apo Reef and then to El Nino

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
1. What is the best and easiest way to get to Apo reef area from Manila for a foreigner?
2. what is the best location/city to stay at when diving Apo reef? what cities and why?
3. I am thinking of going on to El Nino for diving also after apo reef, what is the best and easiest way to get between apo reef area and el nino locations?
4. I thought about going to coron also but i have never been wreck diving before. Should I think about going to coron? I have AOW certification only and about 100 dives?

let me know............thanks.

First up, I think you are referring to El Nido in Palawan when you mentioned El Nino. As you know, El Nino is a weather phenomenon :)

Question 1 and 2:
The best way to do Apo Reef is by liveaboard dive boat. Expedition Fleet and Asia Divers does trips out there on certain times during the year. Expedition Fleet embarks from Anilao while Asia Divers embark from Puerto Galera. There are other LOB operators that do trips to Apo Reef such as World Dive and Sail (on the S/Y Philippine Siren). The next best alternative is to go to Pandan Island (Pandan Island Resort) which is off of the town of Sablayan in Mindoro. This is the only dive op that's closest to Apo Reef AFAIK. From there, you can either arrange for a day or overnight LOB round trip. Or, do multiple days of Apo Reef diving and then they drop you off at Coron. Note: The ride to Apo Reef from Pandan Island is around 1.5 hours one way. Here is the link to their website: http://www.pandan.com/. To get to Pandan Island, one has to do some land and sea transfers to get there from Puerto Galera. The Pandan Island website has lots of info on transfers and how to get there.

I think I have covered your next two questions in my response above. The Liveaboard operators also have a Batangas to Coron itinerary that provides a few days of Apo Reef diving and a few days of Coron diving. The trip from Coron to El Nido is not as convenient. I have read that there is a tourist boat that offers trips between these two places but a one way trip usually takes between 6 to 9 hours. If the boat encounters a problem, it could take up to 12 hours. Not sure about direct flights between those 2 places other than flights originating from Manila.

I have not dived Coron yet, but any AOW diver can handle some of the easier and accessible wrecks. As you know, you cannot penetrate deep into any wreck if the wreck itself is unstable or you're not qualified for it. As an AOW diver, you can penetrate some areas of the wreck that are like short swim throughs such as a small cargo hold or the wheelhouse. To make your wreck diving so much fun, I recommend taking the Wreck Diving course while you're diving that area. Its like hitting two birds with one stone.

wow, thanks @Joe Cool, for all the information. i would have never guessed Apo reef was still a 1.5 hour boat ride from Pandan Island. I have stayed and dove with asia divers befor in PG and like their operation. i will check into the LOB also. I was thinking of skipping the coron wreck diving for now and going from apo reef area to el nino if i could? is there a way to do that? also sounds like you have dove apo reef before? if so, how good was it compared to other places in philippines? i am also interested in sogod as well but just researching right now before i make final decision.

let me know........thanks.

@rjjj111, I never got the chance to dive Apo Reef during my Tubattaha LOB trip a couple of years ago. I was supposed to be on the transition trip that would originate from Batanges, spend 2 days in Apo Reef then proceed to Tubattaha. The boat I was on had engine problems when we were 2 hours away from Apo Reef. It had to be towed back to Batangas. I was able to reschedule my tubattaha trip but that was on the regular Puerto Princesa - Tubattaha run. So, Apo Reef is still on top of my list of places to dive when I go visit family in Manila.

My recommendation is to do a LOB trip to Apo Reef and get dropped off at Coron. There are no flights from Busuanga (Coron) to El Nido. You have to fly into Puerto Princesa and then take a shuttle bus or van to El Nido.

I also almost dove at Sogod Bay a couple of years ago. I was on a 3 month hiatus from work and Sogod Bay was on my itinerary but family obligations forced me to scratch it from my travel list. Anyway, I contacted 2 well known dive resorts/ops in Sogod Bay. They are: Sogod Bay Scuba Resort (www.sogodbayscubaresort.com) and Peter's Dive Resort (www.whaleofadive.com). I am sure there are others but these are the more well-know operators. Both have detailed instructions that teach you how to get to their place. YOu can also arrange your land transfers between Tacloban airport or the ferry terminals (if taking ferry from Cebu) to their respective resorts. I have heard good feedback on the quality of diving in Sogod Bay from my brother.

Dive Safaris

This dive shop is on Boracay, a short flight from Manila. They do Apo Reef fairly often. Contact them and see what the schedule is. I've been on this boat, the Maruha, to Coron, Panagatan and this year in May, we did a 9 day trip to the Cagayancillo Islands out of Anani'y, Panay, and all the way to Tubbataha (where my avatar pic was taken) and Jessie Beazley.
It's a bit more "local style" but Carlos, the owner, is a great cook and very knowledgable diver.
Coron shipwrecks are pretty easy dives. The vis can get pretty bad I hear. Lot of fish on the wrecks. I had more fun diving the islands on the way there.

@joe cool. i am looking at going to sogod.
i may try to get Surigao in also, I only have 10 days total, plus i am going to butuan city for a day or too just to visit there. i am emailing the places you suggested in your post above and i am starting to research the whole thing to get things setup and my ideas flowing on where and what to go and do, how to travel around between the locations, etc...... thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:33 PM ----------

@hank49
i looked at the dive safaris you suggested, it looks like the diving is 7000 per day per person, plus etc..... an OK price but i will have my wife with me so that price will double. i do not want to but i think i may hold apo reef for another trip. but i can always change my mind. but the price is a bit much right now, i think.

In Nov flew to Negros Orientale island from Manila, stayed at a wonderful all-inclusive resort Atmosphere. Dove mostly near the resort, but went to APO for dives on 2 days..only 30-40 min boat ride. The DM and boat crew provide excellent service. I would call it "valet diving", take care of equipment and help on and off with gear, groups of no more than 4 per DM. APO has great reef diving, they go there several times a week and will go more for slight extra charge.

In Nov flew to Negros Orientale island from Manila, stayed at a wonderful all-inclusive resort Atmosphere. Dove mostly near the resort, but went to APO for dives on 2 days..only 30-40 min boat ride. The DM and boat crew provide excellent service. I would call it "valet diving", take care of equipment and help on and off with gear, groups of no more than 4 per DM. APO has great reef diving, they go there several times a week and will go more for slight extra charge.

Apo Island and Apo Reefs are hundred of miles apart.

Dive Cal offers a LOB to Apo Reef out of Coron. The trips are usually 3 days. An option would be to fly to Coron, dive Apo, return to Coron. You can then take an 8 hour ferry banka from Coron to El Nido, or a 3 day Island hopping tour down to El Nido with Tao Expeditions, or a cargo banka from Coron to El Nido (time varies wildly), or fly back to Manila and fly to Puerto Princessa and bus/van to El Nido, or fly direct to the private airfield in El Nido.

There is a dive center on the north side of Busuanga. It's prices are higher because it is the only dive shop on that side of the island, and the nearby resorts are higher priced as well.

The weather in Feb should be fine. Saying that, it was a bit choppy on part of the way back from the wrecks today because of the weather system in Tawi Tawi. The vis was around 12 meters for all three dives today. The wrecks are in a bay, so the vis is never great. Average is 10 meters.

Back
Top Bottom