Questions about making necklaces or a display for the shark's teeth I found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanbeing

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I have 10 black shark's teeth that I've found, and I would like to make some necklaces or a display of them, or both. I am into simple beauty, so the design for either would be something where the tooth was the main feature, and the rest was really bare bones. One other tooth looked black when I found it, but is now basically off-white. I've heard that the black ones are pre-historic. Is this true? What about the whitish one?

necklace questions:

• I was thinking of using a material such as acrylic to encase the tooth in a clear substance, and putting the necklace in the mold as well. Has anyone tried this?
  • Another thought was to use some kind of thin wire or leather thong to wrap around the tooth, and attach it that way. I've tried this in the past, but the wire I had didn't conform to the tooth closely enough. I could also use monofilament line. Has anyone tried this?

display questions:

• Is there some kind of glue that works well with shark's teeth? I'm assuming they're fairly porous.
  • What kinds of frame or display box arrangements have people here tried?

other considerations:

• I would only spend a minimal amount of money on this. I'm handy and would prefer to use found materials.
  • I have tools (drills, etc.)
  • The teeth range in size from 1/2" to 1/4".

Last edited:
humanbeing:
I've heard that the black ones are pre-historic. Is this true? What about the whitish one?

Fossils are various colors depending on what minerals have replaced the original organic material. Teeth I find at Venice are usually various shades of gray, but I do find black ones and brown ones. Non-fossilized teeth are white, but depending on the minerals, white one can also be fossils.

humanbeing:
I was thinking of using a material such as acrylic to encase the tooth in a clear substance, and putting the necklace in the mold as well. Has anyone tried this?

I've never tried that.

humanbeing:
Another thought was to use some kind of thin wire or leather thong to wrap around the tooth, and attach it that way. I've tried this in the past, but the wire I had didn't conform to the tooth closely enough. I could also use monofilament line. Has anyone tried this?

I use wire to wire wrap my teeth. If the wire is too loose, you may need to work on technique. I do pretty well, but sometimes I have to cut off a bad wrap and start over. I've never used monofilament for wrapping teeth. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

humanbeing:
Is there some kind of glue that works well with shark's teeth?

I've put teeth in shadow boxes using a hot glue gun.

humanbeing:
What kinds of frame or display box arrangements have people here tried?

Shadow boxes can look very nice.

I would recommend examining the teeth carefully and only using perfect teeth in jewelry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom