Questions About Making A Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
I plan on making my own reel and I will be basing it on Halcyon's Explorer Reel. I was thinking of making the spool out of a single piece of ionized aluminum. Does anyone know if this would be a good idea or should I make the spool out of Delrin?Also, where can I purchase line for the spool? Please respond. Thanks.

Jayson

If the aluminum ever gets a burr on it, it could snag or cut the line. Delrin is just about indistructable.

You can by cave line in several places online. I don't know what the 'real' name of the braided line is but I'm sure it can be found in lots of places.

Not much help. eh?

Here is the best place I've found to buy the cave line (braided nylon twine).

http://www.memphisnet.net/

Dave D

dmdalton once bubbled...
Here is the best place I've found to buy the cave line (braided nylon twine).
Dave D

if you want #24, you can get it from reef scuba's website. last time i looked it was around 15 usd per pound (about 800 feet)

-frank

I built a couple of reels.
I used extruded ABS (acrylicbutalstyrene) for the center spindle,
cut and turned Lexan (polycaronate) for the sides (advanatage you can see through it) and aluminum for the frame and handle.
I used SS hardware, and brass bolt snap.

My latest is an enclosed reel.

see photo in suscess/failures thread

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom