Questions About Innerkip Quarry Trout Lake Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm hoping to bring a small group of divers to try Innerkip Quarry Trout Lake this summer.

1) Is this dive destination normally a single or two tank dive outing?
2) Which summer months are the best to dive here?

It's been a long time but we did one fill per day for two relatively short checkout dives. Don't recall what we paid but refills are $10 according to their site. Max depth is 9M, although there is at least one deeper shaft. They have sunk a lot of old junk to see and there are few panfish about. The warmer months of July/Aug are likely busy with swimmers. My preference is Gulliver's lake near Hamilton.

Seems like a waste to only do one dive there. I do two tanks when I go, hell you could even do more. You're paying to enter, doing one dive isn't really worth the effort. You can definitely stretch it to two dives to see all the sites.

Not sure if there really is a best summer month. It's a quarry, nothing too special or unique. The other commenter mentioned that they give air fills at Innerkip. When I have been there I didn't see any, nor do I think I'd trust getting a fill there.

There may be swimmers, but if you get there near when they open that won't really be a concern, and where you enter there won't really be many people anyway so either way not a huge concern if there are people. There is a spot for people to dive in off a cliff/dive board so it's really just one spot that is busier. Gullivers is pretty much the same and will have people swimming in it. A lot of swimmers like to practice distance swimming there.

Visibility varies a lot at Innerkip, from 20 feet on a good day in late spring, to 1 foot on a bad day in the fall. The bottom is really silty. Best visibility is usually late May to early July. Go after at least 5 days of no rain and not much wind.

I suggest a 2 tank dive. There are about 20 sunken boats, cars, buses, and pieces of plane--although they are heavily rusted out. Plus lots of fish--bass, suckers, carp, etc. You could do one dive on the North side, and one on the South. Or use one dive to explore, and for the other, use the map and a compass to try to navigate around and hit all the objects. Do you have a map?

I prefer Innerkip over Gulliver's, because there is lots more to see an Innerkip (on an Ontario quarry scale of "lots more to see."). Visibility is better at Gulliver's.

Hi again,

Here is a map of Innerkip in two parts.

20170503_201219_resized.jpg
20170503_201204_resized.jpg

I wouldn't waste your time going there ......there are better dive sites ..........

Innerkip lost its dive shop years ago, so bring your fills. Viz is anywhere between 3 feet and 20, usually it's on the worse end. It's warm and 20 feet deep, the shaft and tunnel are 15 feet deeper. I call them the event horizon because they are so black with silt lights don't work. You can get snagged in there so best not to go in.

If you have good compass skills you can find some interesting things. Keep in mind some of the swims are long, so if you're off by a few degrees you won't see anything. In poor viz if you miss by 10 feet you'll never see it.

Here is a better map, one that I'm partial to.

trout-lake-map-jpg.376597.jpg

Back
Top Bottom