Questions about history of octos...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m a little surprised this thread had gone on this long without a reference to Hal Watts, aka Mr SCUBA. Perhaps he was more of a local legend of cave and deep diving from the 60s and 70s.

FWIW, I had my first training in ‘90 and Hal was credited with the “invention” of the octopus.

This is no doubt another case of recurrent and concurrent discovery. Adding another single hose second stage hardly raises to the level of invention. Divers figured out that you could add another second stage as soon as first stages with extra ports hit the market. It appears that there were a few isolated cave divers with a highly inflated opinion of themselves and very little curiosity about what was happening around the world in the diving industry.

I am reasonably sure that cave divers first invented or used the line reels constantly.

Reels were widely used by scientific divers and for search and recovery in the 1950s. A really well made, and expensive, cast aluminum model was sold in the back pages of Skin Diver in the 1960s. The concept of stringing guidelines inside wrecks goes back to surface supplied heavy gear divers in the late 1800s.

LOL. Wrong and wrong. 78 and first class before PADI existed. Back at you: perhaps you are too old to think and spell correctly? There, how does that feel?

What first class before "PADI existed"? Perhaps you are too old to think and need to check your grammar. There, how does that feel?

I started diving back in 1959, befor PADI was even thought is that too old for you?

I started diving back in 1959,
A good year, the year I started college. My first scuba class was taught by my college. You are correct; PADI did not yet exist.

liTRoCy

Yup, that was my first regulator!
You didn't have to put as much weight on your weight belt when diving it. :)
O2

Yeah good for your keys too!

full.jpg

A good year, the year I started college. My first scuba class was taught by my college. You are correct; PADI did not yet exist.

What was the college, what was the diving agency? Who certified you as a "Master Dive".

Ooh, doggy! We got a party now!

What was the college, what was the diving agency? Who certified you as a "Master Dive".

Ooh, doggy! We got a party now!
There was no agency; the university simply had the class in its PhysEd program.

I am not a "Master Dive," as you put it, or a Master Diver (which I consider to be a Navy designation). I assume you are referring to the Master Instructor label in my profile, which is the highest PADI professional certification other than Course Director. I also hold/held professional certifications from TDI, SDI, AAUS, and non-professional certifications from NAUI, NACD, NSS-CDS. I am Full Cave and Advanced Trimix.

Is there a point you wish to make?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom