questions about dive sites in Nanaimo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks girldiverlic. I've just started diving with doubles- HP100s so that's perfect! Looking forward to your trip report. Have fun. This winter has really sucked!
sunnyboy, thanks for the tip/link. I come up Nanaimo way most summers on my boat so that'll be a great source.

Yeah...no shore diving this time. Doing 3 boat dives on Saturday...2 on Sunday and then heading back across the ferry.

Eating dinner at two different venues and perhaps I'll check out some local watering holes...simply for the review, of course.

Getting excited!! The best part is...I'm not teaching. Just a vacation dive. Ahh....

girldiverllc:
Yeah...no shore diving this time. Doing 3 boat dives on Saturday...2 on Sunday and then heading back across the ferry.

Eating dinner at two different venues and perhaps I'll check out some local watering holes...simply for the review, of course.

Getting excited!! The best part is...I'm not teaching. Just a vacation dive. Ahh....

You will have fun - there's a lot to dive/see around Nanaimo by boat.

I'll be diving Madrona point again Sunday morning. I like boat diving, but don't plan on doing any right now with my twins. Soon... the dark side... less weight, more fun. :)

-S

Depending on where you stay, Katrina's in the old harbour (downtown) is great. There are quite a few good spots in the downtown area, including a restuarant in the old lighthouse (again, downtown) - a bit pricey, but very good. Other common eating spots are more to the north of Nanaimo.

I live south of Nanaimo (just south of the Airport), so tend to go more for either downtown or Ladysmith these days.

Still, you should have a good time.

Cheers,

-S

You can also hop on one of the little ferries (whale boats) for about $3 and visit the Dinghy Dock Pub in Newcastle Harbour. It's a fun piratical themed pub. These ferries go to "Protections Island" and leave from the city dock/marina every hr. or so. There is also a Newcastle Island ferry that leaves from the N. end of the downtown Marina esplanade. They used to run only in the Spring and Summer but we were told recently that Protection Is. ferry will run all year.

If you have time, some other trip, the Newcastle Island Marine Park out in the bay is a great easy hiking/wilderness/campground area. Especially recommended in the summer or spring. It's possible to tent camp here if you want a cheap accomodations for a shore dive trip lasting several days. Not as convenient as motels though. The views of the Mts. across Georgia Strait are fantastic on clear sunny days.

I just got back from Nanimo the other day and it was some incredible diving. Thank you to all who answered my questions. I was able to work out some quality dives without my dive partner having to dive outside of his comfort levels. Jesse's rock was a great wall dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom