Questions about Capt. Don's Habitat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

I have some questions for anyone who has stayed at Captain Don's, in one of the Oasis cottages. Any pluses about staying in them? I'm concerned that because they're in a wooded area, there might be a lot of mosquitoes. And how long a walk is there to the dive centre/lockers? How secure are the dive lockers? And how secure is the safety deposit box in the room? Is it keyed or does it have a keypad? Is it noisy if you get a cottage by the road? We were supposed to get a Villa Suite but were told they were sold out. I'm not one to normally worry about a dive vacation (I'm really looking forward to the diving on Bonaire), but it's been a real nightmare trying to book a vacation this year...

Thanks!

"In the woods" is an overstatement. There are some trees, mostly palms around the resort but there is almost no grass on the site, Bonaire is a desert island. Mosquitoes are sometimes around but if the ones in Canada is anything like we have in coastal North Carolina, those puny things they have on Bonaire are nothing. :) Carry a little bug repelent with deet in it. I never do and have had no problems.
I have not stayed at CD's so I can't help with the rooms but the entire complex is not more than 300 ft from the road to the water so the walk between your room and the dive lockers can't be more than that. The road by CD's is not that busy and if memory serves me correctly, the closest room is at least 75 to 100 ft from the road. I seriously doubt noise will be a problem.
When are you going to be on island ? We are next door at Buddy in July, I always love to meet other SBers.

We'll be there the first week of April. We were supposed to stay at Buddy Dive but they were sold out :(

I'm really looking forward to it, just wish I was going sooner (I really need a vacation !!!!)

You'll have no problems at Capt. Don's. It's a well-run operation. Bonaire mosquitos are not a big deal at all if you've been to some of the other Caribbean destinations and survived those...

We have been to Captain Don's many times. The dive lockers are by the dock a few minutes walk away and safe, you can buy locks in the Dive Shop or bring your own.

Mosquitos are not a problem if you take sensible precautions ie spray. We always nuke the room with bug spray when we go to dinner to make sure we don't have any in the room.

We had a large safe in our room, big enough to take a laptop, 2 SLR cameras and more. It had a keypad and you choose your own code.

Have a great time at Captain Don's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom