Questionable LDS behavior and policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have limited experience with LDSes and buying gear from them. However, the actions of a particular LDS my dive buddy and I decided to purchase some gear from has caused me some concern.

My dive buddy purchased a BC from them, as well as an Air II. They were kind enough to attach the Air II to the BC, but said they couldn't provide us with the regular power inflater that comes with the BC.

The BC was a special order item, because it was a size they didn't stock (XXS). However, this BC still doesn't fit my dive buddy. (as a side note, it seems only a XS transpac with a 13-16" shoulder length will fit her, given the distance from her waist to her shoulders is 13") We wanted to see if we could return the item, but they're saying we have to pay a restocking fee of 33% since they have to send it back to the manufacturer.

Now, if they're going to send it back, wouldn't they have to send it back with the power inflater? If that's the case, why can't I get it? Is this normal LDS policy?

Lastly, I understand their financial needs to send back the BC to the manufacturer, but it seems a difficult situation, since they're charging her 140~ to return a BC that doesn't fit.

So, the Air2 was purchased at the same time as the BC? I do not really know how this works, but it's possible they received it attached, without the regular inflater, from the mfg. I guess this would be possible if they are of the same mfg. When I got my Air2 after market, they installed it for me and threw my inflater in the box.

I would think 33% is pretty steep. Ask to see their special order policy in writing, if they have one. Worse case scenario, try to sell it and go somewhere else. Good luck.

P.S.
I'm headed down to Monterey October 26th-27th. Let me know if you wanna meet up.

If it is a scubapro BC, I believe they come with no inflator and the customer adds and pays for the inflator of their choice.

A 33% restocking fee is rediculous. If you put it on a credit card, you might return everything and fight the restocking fee thru the CC company. After all, they did help in selecting the BC and sizing it so it would be just right for your friend.

Price the transpac on leisurepro and then call scubatoys or dive sports and they will match the price. And neither will try to take advantage of you as youir LDS seems to be doing.

Who decided your friend needed an XXS? If the shop told you that was the correct size, I'd hammer them over the restocking fee. In fact, a restocking fee for a brick and mortar shop is enough to send me to another LDS.

OK, so if I size someone wrong, I eat the item and order the correct one.

If a customer insists on a size without any help, and it's wrong I charge them the restocking fee charged by the vendor and any shipping. If it's something that I think I can sell I don't charge a restocking fee. But a multi-colored zeagle Tech, a custom sized anything, or something highly specialized I'm afraid is something that is too challenging to be re-saleable.

Inflators: If the Air2 was added afterwards, then you paid for it initially and should get it back. If you purchased the BC with it at time of the order, most shops get the BC from the Vendor with the Air2 already attached. (just an FYI)

I always pass along the vendors "restocking fee" to the customer. And I have never had a restocking fee with any vendor - ever - so I have never charged a customer. Even when we carried scuba pro - there was no restocking fee. If they want to charge you about 8 bucks shipping each way - I guess that would be fair... but what a lot of shops don't get is why bother. You are only going to send a customer away if you do that, and a customer to me is worth thousands in instant business and referral business.

It is pretty dumb business practice to sacrifice thousands of dollars of potential revenue over $15 worth of shipping - or even for the $135 bucks they are trying to clip you. Sure... they will put $135 in their pocket and laugh to them selves about how they got you... But what are the odds you will call us up - or some other shop instead of walking back in there for the next BC, regs, computers, and on and on. And when you come back from a trip talking about how great the diving was, and one of your co-workers decides to get certified... where are you going to tell them to get their gear, and who to avoid.

Shops love to jump up and down and blame the internet for destroying their business. Maybe instead of looking at a computer screen they should look in a mirror.

I always pass along the vendors "restocking fee" to the customer. And I have never had a restocking fee with any vendor - ever - so I have never charged a customer. Even when we carried scuba pro - there was no restocking fee. If they want to charge you about 8 bucks shipping each way - I guess that would be fair... but what a lot of shops don't get is why bother. You are only going to send a customer away if you do that, and a customer to me is worth thousands in instant business and referral business.

It is pretty dumb business practice to sacrifice thousands of dollars of potential revenue over $15 worth of shipping - or even for the $135 bucks they are trying to clip you. Sure... they will put $135 in their pocket and laugh to them selves about how they got you... But what are the odds you will call us up - or some other shop instead of walking back in there for the next BC, regs, computers, and on and on. And when you come back from a trip talking about how great the diving was, and one of your co-workers decides to get certified... where are you going to tell them to get their gear, and who to avoid.

Shops love to jump up and down and blame the internet for destroying their business. Maybe instead of looking at a computer screen they should look in a mirror.

Pretty aggressive response to a post that didn't offer much specific info, and how did the internet come into the subject?
Did you need both hands to pat yourself on the back, or just one?

Did you need both hands to pat yourself on the back, or just one?

Crikey, dude. That was pretty seriously harsh. Larry and everyone over at Scubatoys have been really good to all of us.

The Internet came into the subject several posts above.

I agree with Larry. I don't see the LDS doing what it needs to do to keep a solid customer. Personally, I'd prefer to buy locally but I just can't get the cooperation I need. I left voice mail messages for three days with a LDS over a regulator part I needed. They never returned any of my messages. I finally gave up and bought it online.

-Charles

33% restocking fee is BS. I would look into your state's consumer protection laws. Call your atourney general and find out if this is even legal. I suspect it is not.

I would also try to communicate directly with scubapro. It reflects poorly on them if an authorized retailer behaves this way and they my not be too happy about it.

The big important thing we all want to know is: Who chose to order this size???

I'd suggest calling Scubapro and asking them why you are being charged a 33% restocking fee from your LDS. If they act surprised, eh...there you go! Take that bit of info to the LDS and get them to drop it. If SP does tell you that they charge that to people...well you are screwed. I personally don't like SP very much so I'd suggesting finding a BC from a different manufacturer, whichis ounds like you have already done. But, it sounds like SP might not charge this fee, according to Larry's experience, so it might be your LDS entirely.

Back
Top Bottom