• Canon SD-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oly 5050

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Neither (please offer me options)

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i just lost my camera at a dive (dang it...); it was my first
"serious" underwater camera, a Canon SD-100, and all my
learning was done with it.

alas... it's now gone... so i was thinking...

would it make sense to stick with another SD-100, since I know
how it works, or would it be better to move up to an
Olympus 5050? The total price difference will only be
about $100.00.

i am tempted by the Oly.... do you guys think i should
make the move?

thanks and sorry for such a basic question.

also, posts as to "why" you would chose which camera would
be appreciated.

the 8080 is nice, but at $1,000 or so for camera and case, it's about twice my budget.

any recomendations in the $500.00 range?

Sorry to hear about your camera :( .

I can only speak from owning a 5050 - I wouldn't trade it for the $100.00 you are talking about. If some one gave me an 8080 at $100.00 more than the 5050 I'd be tempted but still like the size of the 5050.

Good luck.

Did you like your SD100? I have never even seen one so can't help much.

I really like the Oly 5050 but it does have some quirks that I didn't notice as much with my Canons. Namely more time between pushing the button and shutter release & way more write time (it's a bigger file). It's also bigger which means that it is virtually impossible for me to use and hand hold my strobe - which I really like doing.

If you can expand the SD100 to include an external strobe and lenses and you really liked it & were comfortable with it, then you might like to keep it on your list.

If you kept thinking, gee, I wish I had the Oly 5050, then go with that.

Sorry I can't be more help...

Sorry to hear you lost your camera. My condolences.

If you liked your Canon and it had all the features you needed then stay with it. If the Oly 5050 has more features or ones that you need and didn't have then consider it.

H2Andy:

would it make sense to stick with another SD-100, since I know
how it works, or would it be better to move up to an
Olympus 5050? The total price difference will only be
about $100.00.

i am tempted by the Oly.... do you guys think i should
make the move?

be appreciated.

I use the Nikon D100, 10.5mm wide angle in an aquatica housing and love the camera. Its going to cost you lots of $ but it takes great shots.

Gilligan:
Sorry to hear you lost your camera. My condolences.

If you liked your Canon and it had all the features you needed then stay with it. If the Oly 5050 has more features or ones that you need and didn't have then consider it.

I'm a big proponent of Canon products. I have a Canon S50, which gives you a little more control over the settings, but it’s a bit larger than the SD-100. I recommend you get something like an S400 (4MP) or S500 (5MP) since it has a similar form factor to your old SD-100 and they take awesome pictures. There's a new Canon S60 out that is a tad smaller than the S50 and gives you good control if you are interested in going that route. www.newegg.com has good prices on Canons and every now and then www.dell.com runs a coupon deal -anyway, just a couple of suggestions. Happy diving.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-120-121&depa=0
Canon S410 currently $352 with full USA warranty.

H2Andy:

be appreciated.
That really sucks, sorry to hear it.

I use a Nikon 2100 in an ikelite housing that will fit the "better Nikons" when the price drops. Losing my camera would really ruin my day. Ugh!!

I agree with Alcina and Gilligan...I'm not familiar with your Canon and the differences between it and the 5050. If you were satisfied with the Canon and the 5050 doesn't offer any features you wish you had over the Canon, stick with what you know. Use that $100 towards an external strobe laster!

course, I love the 5050. The main thing that made me choose it was the ability to have a CF card and either a XD or SM card at the same time and switch between the two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom