• Canon SD-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oly 5050

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Neither (please offer me options)

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everybody, thanks for the input...still doing my homework on your coments

ok, my research so far shows that i can get a Canon S500, housing, and external
arm and strobe for $1,200, whereas I can get an Oly 5050, housing, and external
strobe for $900.00.

I am more into video then still but I have a great digital video systems that allow still photos too.
sony dc-120 with ikelite housing.
I like it alot. Small, easy to use and the best of video and photography. only down side is not easy to switch from video to macro stills, but still a good camera

H2Andy:
strobe for $900.00.

Basically you'll be paying the extra $300 for the smaller form factor of the S500. Up to you, but I think you can guess which one I'd choose :)

Very hard........
My thoughts are if you were very come-for-da-bull with your camera and know your buttons, I'd say stick to it (if available get the newer model)... I don't know the camera you had, what would the 5050 have more to offer? would you need/use the extras? Do you take enough pictures to justify....Would it be a bigger set up? Do you want a bigger set up? As said very hard to make suggestions, but I hope my thoughts get you thinking :D

What brand tray, strobe and arms are you looking at? That's a good place to lower the price.

I'm not all that familiar with the Canon series other than knowing some folks are really pleased with them. But I think the one you're looks at is comparable to the 5050 as far as features go, at least the major ones. I agree with Lisa about the comfort level. The better you know your camera the easier it is to take pics U/W.

That said...is it worth $300 to you to stay with the Canon? Will you dive with it enough to justify the price? Can you lower the overall price by changing something, like different tray and strobe arms? For instance the ULCS arms alone can run $200+ while you can get a fisheye tray WITH arm for way less than that.

The Oly isn't that hard to learn and because there are more Oly users, at least here, you'll have a wider knowledge base when you have questions.

It's hard to advise but this might give you more to think about. :06:

Isn't it fun making decisions? :11ztongue

H2Andy:
strobe for $900.00.

Or...you can always get an S410 and knock at least $100 off (probably more) of that $1200 and you are still getting an awesome camera....if I remember right the SD-100 was 3.2MP and the S410 is 4MP, so it will still be an upgrade.....and MegaPixels aren't everything....optics, build quality, internal image processing etc are important as well.

5050z love mine. Thought about the 8080 but I want to shoot video so I can live happy with my 5050 till I come up with $8000 for the video setup,OUCH!

And when you want to check out the great camera you find on Steve's site, visit digideep.com to check out which manufacturers make underwater housings for it.

Back
Top Bottom