Question to PADI: Cert cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually I do not get so pedantic myself unless others start it but actually nitrox and Nitrox are both acceptable as they are both commonly used.

Sorry for the confusion, I went to public school in the 1960's. :dunce:

We didn't have optional spelling by popular vote. :rofl3:

Good lord, I used to spell it NitrOx.

Sorry for the confusion, I went to public school in the 1960's. :dunce: We didn't have optional spelling. :rofl3:

I imagine language changes somewhat over nearly fifty years. If language didn't change, we'd all still be sitting in caves grunting.

I have never ever been asked for an AOW card over and above my basic c-card... and that is the only one I ever pull out- people laugh at the picture of the young kid with hair. :eyebrow:

Are there really dive ops that want to see an AOW card lest you be limited to 60fsw? Really? Anything else they want it for? I mean, it doesn't show you did the night dive, so how do they attempt to limit your diving?

I'm not sure if they still do it, but I know when the Oriskany first went down, if you wasnt AOW certified, you had to dive with a guide. Thats the only instance I know of where AOW gave you a benefit.

What's to happen when you take an additional specialty after your MSD card is issued? Pay another $50 for an upgraded version? Do you expect PADI to do them free or in lieu of the card they would have issued for the specialty?

I suppose having all the stuff on one card is nice but it isn't going to happen and I doubt that PADI cares whether you pay the $50 for the MSD recognition card or not.

There might be good reason to NOT show every card you have. Why would you show Rescue Diver when your First Aid and CPR certs have expired? In fact, why show Rescue at all? You are more likely to get stuck with a newby insta-buddy because the operator figures you can solve all their problems. So, I have carried just my NAUI Advanced Open Water. Now I will carry the PADI Nitrox card. Two cards, no problem.

Were I a DM out for a weekend of entertainment, I would certainly not show that card. AOW is just right: qualified to dive but not expected to coddle.

Richard

I have been asked to dive with an unknown while on a charter boat because of my instr. card.I politely said NO, that I PAID to go on the dive and if I was to take this person I would have to be paid an amount much higher by that person or the dive op than what I paid to be there.

I imagine language changes somewhat over nearly fifty years. If language didn't change, we'd all still be sitting in caves grunting.

I've finally halued to the Salvation Army my many volumes regarding word origins and contemporary usage, the internet has far outstripped them in relevance. I still grunt a lot (I'm a guy) and I was very interested in buying a cave in Wisconsin :D

I just don't know when flippers became fins.

Above, oly5050user is dead on right- that's another reason why I never produce anything more than a basic c-card.

I've finally halued to the Salvation Army my many volumes regarding word origins and contemporary usage, the internet has far outstripped them in relevance. I still grunt a lot (I'm a guy) and I was very interested in buying a cave in Wisconsin :D

I just don't know when flippers became fins.

Above, oly5050user is dead on right- that's another reason why I never produce anything more than a basic c-card.

I think that was about the same time goggles became a mask.

I was working for a dive op this last summer. Island in the Atlantic. We checked every single diver A. Cert cards (I say plural because the op gave Nitrox for free to certified EANx divers), B. Insurance covering them, C. Logged dive question they didn't actually have to show a log)

I don't want to get too far adrift but I am curious about "B. Insurance covering them". What's that about? What insurance is acceptable? Medical, Life? What would I have to show?

I have never encountered this issue and I am curious. I don't belong to DAN (I'm not a great "joiner") but I do have medical insurance.

Richard

NudeDiver:
As noted above - having to lug around a dive log is one thing I am looking to avoid.

I've encountered, primarily in the states, many operators that require evidence of depth, conditions, number of dives and date of last dive on trips/dives that are what most would consider to be within the realm of advanced diving but still well within recreational limits. No C-card is going to show this no matter the number specialties indicated on single card. I've diligently maintained my log and have designed it to be compact by printing my logs on both sides of a 5.5"x8.5" sheet of paper as so not to be too encumbered buy it's bulk.

I think that was about the same time goggles became a mask.

So were face plates the nomenclature before or after goggles? :D

I don't want to get too far adrift but I am curious about "B. Insurance covering them". What's that about? What insurance is acceptable? Medical, Life? What would I have to show?

I'm also interested as well. :popcorn:

I've encountered, primarily in the states, many operators that require evidence of depth, conditions, number of dives and date of last dive on trips/dives that are what most would consider to be within the realm of advanced diving but still well within recreational limits. No C-card is going to show this no matter the number specialties indicated on single card.

I think SSI issue special C-Cards after you have logged certain numbers of dives. I wonder if the thinking was to create something lighter and more portable as evidence of experience. I would no more carry my log on holiday than I would carry my weight lifting equipment (either one means I am paying excess luggage).

SSI Scuba Schools International: Experience Level

or they could go to a electronic chip on the cards like many companies have started to do for employees. . . mainly the military. . .

Back
Top Bottom