Question: Routing of solo harness strap in back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My first solo harness was assembled with the back plate when I purchased it. The harness was routed from the shoulder area through the waist slots without any additional metal webbing keepers on the back side of the waist strap. I found this convenient in two ways. I could make the shoulder openings a little larger to facilitate putting on the harness and then pull the waist straps to tighten both the waist and shoulders. Once in the water with everything neutrally buoyant I might even take in a couple more inches to keep the rig from shifting left and right. It seemed that back plates on other divers were rigged similarly.

I recently purchased a new solo harness. The instructions with my new harness show putting a metal webbing keeper on the back side of the back plate where the shoulder strap goes through slots to become the waist strap. Essentially this makes the shoulder opening a non-adjustable fixed dimension. The instructions further state to allow a 4" gap between the strap and the front of the shoulder to allow donning and removing the harness.

I understand that dive equipment manufacturers have established specific instructions for reasons of safety and performance; but, I am having trouble understanding the benefit of the loose shoulder straps. I was wondering if anyone sees anything wrong with leaving the metal webbing keepers off to allow me to tighten both shoulder and waist portions of the harness as in my old harness arrangement.

Thanks

Some people advise that the shoulder straps on a one piece harness should be adjusted so you can fit your middle and index fingers between the webbing and your chest. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing in my eyes but some DIR purists might not approve. Some manufacturers make devices that make it easier to do what you are doing, such as the Halcyon Cinch system.

It may be an idea to put a couple of retainers on the webbing to limit the amount it can slide back, so that if the buckle comes undone, the whole thing doesn't come loose.

You specifically mention "solo harness", but do you have non-solo harness as well? Would your question be relevant only for solo diving? Because I don't see it...

Anyway, without the metal keepers, how do you prevent the harness from falling if you open it when standing? The webbing could slide off.
The extra space necessary for donning and removing is not noticeable at all underwater. In a horizontal position, the shoulder straps don't do much... I don't know about 4", I set-up my harness by trying it on, not measuring it.

Halcyon has a system that allows for the adjustment of the harness while at the same time fixing it when under weight.

Using the SS keepers is pretty standard. You can afford to leave some slack in the shoulder straps because the crotch strap will snug everything down. Having the shoulder straps too tight is probably more common than having them too loose. Halcyon has the Cinch system and Deep Sea Supply has the Glide adapter for its plates, which are more polished methods of allowing rapid adjustments of the shoulder strap lengths. I tried the Cinch when it first came out, and went back to the standard configuration (and loosened my shoulder straps).

My first solo harness was assembled with the back plate when I purchased it. I recently purchased a new solo harness.
What 'solo harness' are you referring to?
The instructions with my new harness show putting a metal webbing keeper on the back side of the back plate where the shoulder strap goes through slots to become the waist strap. Essentially this makes the shoulder opening a non-adjustable fixed dimension.
Why would that make it become 'non-adjustable'? You just move the triglide / webbing keeper to adjust the shoulder strap length. A lot of divers use them on their plates to prevent the strap from creeping over time. No big deal to adjust them. If you mean, non-adjustable once you are in the rig, and in the water, you're right. Why wait until then to adjust your kit?
Mustard Dave:
I'm guessing the OP means the Hollis Solo Harness. Solo Harness Hollis
That harness really needs a few more D-rings.

When you put the entire thing on with the crotch strap, the shoulder straps become a bit more snug, but far from 'tight'. It simply doesn't need to be tight, and tight straps are much harder to get out of. You want the metal keepers to ensure the straps are equal and stay equal.

Back
Top Bottom