Question regarding AA into Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that you are flying weekends. Do you have the email receipt? Click the link there to check on your trip.

Every First or Business class trip I have taken includes at least two free checked bags with extra weight allowance.

Also, included is free admission to the airlines “club” and sometimes two carry on bags.

Enjoy!
American doesn't give access to its lounge/club with First Class seats unless you're flying internationally....which for some reason doesn't include flights from the US to Mexico or Canada.

IMO, they're really stingy about this. For what I pay for First Class airfare in a year, it would be really nice to have lounge access. Their access is almost $600 per person...ridiculous considering how much FC tickets are.

Quick question since I apparently can't navigate all the jumble on AA site and after an hour I gave up being on hold. So I was hopeful I might obtain the info from fellow divers.
We are headed to Cozumel end of August and lucky us managed to get a really good deal on first class seats since we booked so long ago. This is not where we normally get booked so I am a bit novice at first class perks.
My understanding is with AA your first two checked bags are free if you are in first class....is this correct for Cozumel?
We always take our gear so I wanted to be sure I had the correct information on this.
I figured with all the Cozumel divers on here...you guys were bound to have the best first hand info on this.
Thank you

American gives you 2 free bags up to 70 lbs when you fly first class (yes, even to Coz). Then you also are allowed the usual carry-ons. On really small planes, sometimes the airline will limit economy to only one carry on (as if anyone really pays attention), but first class doesn't get hit with that limit.

ETA: You do not get lounge access with first class tickets from the USA to Mexico.

I hope that you are flying weekends. Do you have the email receipt? Click the link there to check on your trip.
AA is operating MIA to CZM on the 20th and 27th. I believe the OP lists a location of SC so I am assuming the plan is to go through MIA. One other baggage trick is AA will always offer to gate check carry-on luggage for free so if can get it through TSA you can then check it at the gate.

AA? Run, run fast....

American gives you 2 free bags up to 70 lbs when you fly First/Business Class (yes, even to Coz). Then you also are allowed the usual carry-ons. On really small planes, sometimes the airline will limit economy to only one carry-on (as if anyone really pays attention), but first-class doesn't get hit with that limit.

ETA: You do not get lounge access with first-class tickets from the USA to Mexico.
^^^^^THIS.
I always fly First/Business Class on AA to Cozumel, DFW-CZM. The enhanced baggage perks are a big plus for me because I carry all my gear (sans tank & weights), although I do have a weighted STA in my BP/W. It is 2X 70 lb bags per passenger too. So, when I travel to Coz with my wife/son, we get to take just about all of our worldly belongings with us. (At least with my wife it seems that way....)

You shouldn't expect much from "first class" on AA to and from Cozumel. It's more like a watered down business class. Yes, you will get two free checked bags (and they can be overweight). The seats are wider and with more leg room than steerage. AA suspended meal service during the pandemic. I don't know if they're now providing more than a snack. Beverage service was continued in first.
As of this week, on AA Business Class/First Class to COZ, you get your choice of either cheese & fruit plate or a turkey sammich. You still get beverage service, including alcohol.

We just flew AA first down there and United 1st home yesterday. 70 lbs per bag is correct. We bring 2 and one has my equipment that makes it weigh over 60lbs but I don't need a 2nd bag. If you are flying on a Saturday out of CZM, the priority checkin is a major perk.
Your bags will have priority tags on them, but that normally means little to the screeners in Cozumel. Meal service right now is just a boxed snack and drinks are available.

You shouldn't expect much from "first class" on AA to and from Cozumel. It's more like a watered down business class. Yes, you will get two free checked bags (and they can be overweight). The seats are wider and with more leg room than steerage. AA suspended meal service during the pandemic. I don't know if they're now providing more than a snack. Beverage service was continued in first.

AA didn't suspend the meal service in First Class, but did change it only cold foods. We've flown 7 times since November (on AA) and on each flight had both food and beverage service. I'm so sick of the cheese & fruit box! That said, it does seem like they suspended service in the economy cabin. I know on one of the longer flights they took the beverage cart to economy, but I overheard a few people asking to buy alcoholic drinks and the flight attendant told them that service had been suspended.

^^^^^THIS.
I always fly First/Business Class on AA to Cozumel, DFW-CZM. The enhanced baggage perks are a big plus for me because I carry all my gear (sans tank & weights), although I do have a weighted STA in my BP/W. It is 2X 70 lb bags per passenger too. So, when I travel to Coz with my wife/son, we get to take just about all of our worldly belongings with us. (At least with my wife it seems that way....)

Yup. I like the enhanced baggage service because I can usually pack all of my gear and enough clothing in my gear bag. My husband is the heavy packer, so sometimes we have to take both of our gear bags plus a small duffel. I like to travel light, but I guess that's impossible when you travel with dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom