Question regarding AA into Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad weather in once city can cause weather disruptions all over the country. Maybe the plane you were supposed to take couldn't get TO your city because it was stuck in some other city.
This happens all the time, but let me tell you. Send in 60 minutes with a meteorologist and they would be running for the hills.:wink:

I thought AA has been very aggressive at furloughing flight crews at the beginning of the pandemic for cost savings, much more so than other airlines, and have quite a ways to go in getting them back, as the furlough was so lengthy that some people retired, some people found another position elsewhere, and some people’s training lapsed.

Yes - as of about a month ago (IIRC) our news reported that AA still had 800 pilots to put through re-training. They just waited too long - much longer than the other airlines - to begin bringing their crews out of furlough.

Also, I don't know how much, if any, AA was paying their furloughed pilots. I have a good friend whose son is a pilot, but not for AA, who was furloughed but still being paid a good chunk of his salary. That said, he flies the Canadair jets with one of the companies that partners with the major airlines, so I'd guess their policies were different.

After posting I did learn about the weather issues, so I can understand why our originating flight was canceled. However, the issues in Dallas were handled extremely badly from what I understand. Staff clocked out or were let to go home while there were thousands of people trying to rebook or change flights due to the cancelations. This left many stranded and (from what I ready) there were huge lines this morning due to all the people who had to wait overnight. So it seems like there was no way we would have gotten to CUN yesterday and today was simply too late.

Further, I have checked on my credit and am being told it could be several weeks before it's issued. According to the AA website, I'll be required to book using the credit by October of this year because according to AA I was the one who canceled the trip! Ugh! Since they canceled my flight, what other choice did I have? I would have missed the entire reason for going. So I'm going to have to call and make a fuss when the credit is eventually issued. I ended up rebooking a trip for the end of this month and used the remaining credit I had from December, but I'm also out of pocket an additional $1,400 for those flights since the new credit hasn't been issued.

We'll be driving to Dallas the night before. I'm not taking any chances that AA will f%^& up our originating flights. We'll stay at the Hampton Inn and have their shuttle take us to the airport.

We'll be driving to Dallas the night before. I'm not taking any chances that AA will f%^& up our originating flights. We'll stay at the Hampton Inn and have their shuttle take us to the airport.
Good plan! :)

We'll be driving to Dallas the night before. I'm not taking any chances that AA will f%^& up our originating flights.
Ugh. You're closer than I am, but yuck. The worst part is driving home after return.

upload_2021-8-3_16-47-45.png

Ugh. You're closer than I am, but yuck. The worst part is driving home after return.

View attachment 674442

I know...it's a good little drive, but not terrible. Takes us about 4.5 hours. Actually, last time we cam back (in June) we ended up with such a long flight delay that we would have gotten home a couple hours sooner if we'd driven. Beats sitting in the airport in a mask.

Critical thinking skills indicate that losing millions in revenue through cancelling thousands of flights and losing thousands of customers will drive them toward bankruptcy .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom