Question re: Solo Diving Course drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from Bonaire where I took a Solo Diving Course.

One of the exercises involved doffing your BCD at about 20 feet and inspecting it in case you might have gotten entangled while diving. Then you had to re-don the BCD.

What happened in my case was that because my BCD has integrated weights ( Cressi Aqualight-R, has fold down "weight pockets") I became positively bouyant after removing the BCD and really had to struggle to get it back on but was finally able to do so.

Would like to get feedback as to the best way to handle a situation like this. Am hoping it doesn't require the use of a weight belt.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Sy

I tend to think that the B/C don-doff is more an exercise in problem solving than it is a skill necessary for diving.

Should one become entangled, one's buddy should be there to address the issue.

the K

But its a solo course so no buddy?

In the event of a true emergency where you had to remove and replace your BC, that would not be the time to realize that you float while your air source sinks.

I think you would be better off moving some weight to a belt to balance your weighting with the BC's. Or get proficient at removing and replacing your BC with integrated weights.

You have to follow procedure for doing so with weight integrated BCD, keep an arm hooked to the BCD otherwise you will go for a ride and be forever known as "Rocket Man".

Is it easy nope but, you should be profecient if diving solo to be prepared for anything, if not dive with a buddy. Not trying to be crass just realistic.

I think you would be better off moving some weight to a belt to balance your weighting with the BC's.

Aye. Balance you ballast.

All diving skills should be considered a solo responsibility whether actual solo diving or not.

The trick here is to keep the BCD as close to your body as possible. As you slide it off your right arm holding your buoyancy. Simply run your right arm back through the left arm shoulder strap and then put your left arm through the right arm shoulder strap. Yes the BCD will now be on your chest But you can now see any problem you may have such as entanglement or loose tank band. This keeps the weight close to you and you will not float up. In fact you actually turn into the BCD not the BCD to you in case of entanglement. This is a basic OW diver skill.

Question: It sounds like you were not wearing a redundant air source of any sort? Doubles or a separate stage cylinder. I wonder what other standards may have been ignored???

Welcome to the disadvantage to integrated weights.

Every so often I take off my bp/w (I don't use any weights) while at depth and then put it on. To help with my buoyancy (luckily I'm negative unless I have a lung full of air), while don and doffing, I keep the scuba unit directly underneath me. Keep in mind I alway's dive in a horizontal position which helps keep the unit underneath me.

Whether you are taking a solo course or not, it is a good idea to know how to take off your scuba unit underwater. I have seen buddy teams where one buddy was to far away to assist in a problem. The diver's cylinder had slipped through the straps and was pulling the regulator out of their mouth. The individual took their scuba unit off, readjusted their cylinder and straps and put it back on.

Salaam

Chris

The integrated weights do present a challenge as compared to a weight belt, but it can be used to your advantage once you practice a while. The rig is going to have certain characteristics that you can eventually anticipate.

That having been said, when I practice doff/don, I find that if you get started off poorly...a shoulder strap folded over, a hose inside an arm space...it is best to start over immediately rather than press a bad beginning in the hopes of things straightening out on their own. It shouldn't be viewed as a "you-get-one-shot" drill. If it isn't working...begin again. Otherwise.....ah, ...well...ummm...sorry...I drifted off when the oily, KISS rebreather girl popped up on the left...talk about buoyant...ah, otherwise there is the potential to make matters worse in a real-dive situation.

Whatever you do...don't let go!!!! You'll get the express ride to a chamber. Also, re-read the section in your dive class material on uncontrolled assents...just in case.

All diving skills should be considered a solo responsibility whether actual solo diving or not.

I like that quote!

And, um, the K, you do know this is the solo diving forum, right? I didn't. I made a jump here from the home page, where you don't know what forum the new post is in, and recommended via PM that Sytech post his questions in the solo forum where he'd get less "need buddy" comments....groan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom