Question re Flathead 7 reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. One more question re the octo: should I just take my Oceanic Alpha off my old reg (15yr old but in good shape) and use that with the Flathead, or buy a new Zeagle octo, and which is best to choose. My old Oceanic Alpha octo is on a nice yellow Miflex hose.

Adam

Hatul,

I bought the Flathead LT just before Xmas and it sure is a nice reg but major overkill for what I do which is mostly shore diving with the occasional boat dive. Water temps here in Melb are 9C-22C so decided not to go with enviro sealed.

I took my Oceanic Alpha 8 octo off my old regs and put it straight onto the Zeagle. I find the Alpha 8 a nice reg and have had absolutely no problems with it, rarely ever freeflows and still breathes nicely. You'll have no probs using it.

I also never bother to switch the venturi lever either on the ZX, I just leave it the surface position. Unless you're going below 30m you're not going to notice the diff.

Oh yeah, I got the DIN but it came with a yoke adapter free. Check when you order.

The regulator 2nd stage isn't designed to be used in the Pre-Dive position.
Air coming through the valve is being bounced off the diaphram instead of being directed into the mounthpiece.
Your inhalation effort is over the top!
Try using the adjustment wheel and de-tuning if you desire more breathing effort.

The regulator 2nd stage isn't designed to be used in the Pre-Dive position.
Air coming through the valve is being bounced off the diaphram instead of being directed into the mounthpiece.
Your inhalation effort is over the top!
Try using the adjustment wheel and de-tuning if you desire more breathing effort.

Well designed or not, I find it makes no noticable difference in breathing effort but stops those annoying freeflows when you forget to move the lever to pre-dive and then bump the reg. It has nothing to do with wanting an increased breathing effort.

I was also given this advice from the Australian Zeagle distributor who does the same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom