Question re: doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that I will try to have a separate travel regulator so that I don't need to be always switching hoses... So the next question is which regs? Right now, I have two Atomic first stages and three Atomic second stages, a B2 and two Z2s (B2 primary, one Z2 backup, one Z2 on my pony bottle).
If you like your current Atomic regs, why not get another, identical first stage? (Or, are you saying your two first stages are different?) The fewer brands / models, the easier life is (although that may just be MY personal idiosyncracy - see comment, below).
IMy mentor told me that she preferred to have two different brands of second stages, for two reasons - (1) so that if one failed due to environmental reasons, both would be less likely to fail for the same reason . . . and (2) so that it's easy to tell which one you are using by the weight, etc.
With no disrespect intended to your mentor - many of us develop personal preferences, and individualized approaches to our gear, as we gain experience, that we then rationalize with some type of explanantion or justification. I wouldn't necessarily call these approaches idiosyncracies, but many of us have them. There are a few things that I do / prefer (even 'recommend') that are not necesarily based on any objective data whatsoever. I prefer to dive the same second stage on both regs in doubles, because I want 1) equivalent performance, and 2) easier servicing in the field (same second stage kit). Are those validated reasons? Well, they are for me. :) Plus, I have a bolt snap on my primary (right post) second stage hose, and a bungee necklace on my secondary (left post) second stage, so I can usually tell them apart.

doctormike,

I am also 6'2" and have been diving for over 30 years to include tech diving. I've been sidemounting steel 120s for some time and prefer that to backmount doubles, especially when traveling. I find once you've adjusted your trim, stability from this platform is great vs the higher CG of backmount large capacity steel tanks. Just another thought to consider.

Mike

The other side of that sidemount coin is that you have to pay attention to your gas use a little more closely than when diving with backmounted doubles because you will have to do gas switches between them in order to prevent using all of one cylinder first and ending up off balance. There's some additional task loading that comes along with that, too.

I do like the benefits, though!

If you want to do it the most efficient way find a mentor who understands well how to dive them. You can take some double primer course. I guess Bob Sherwood might teach something like that in your area. Those money are usually well spent and you willnever regret it.
If you are 6.2 119 (worthingtons ?) can be short for you. If you dive fresh water places they might be difficult to trim for a beginner. In salt water you will probably need to add weight to them so you can move it to the tail.

You will be diving singles here and there so I would just keep these as singles and would buy a separate set. Look here on the board or on decostop and you can find a good set of doubles already setup.

For your height I would go with longer tanks like al80 faber lp85 worthingtons lp108/hp130 or smaller one like lp72 they are all long tanks (hp130 would be on a shorter side)

Al80 would be the last I would get for the ocean as you will have to add a lot of lead.

Wow, thanks so much everyone... for all your great advice and kind offers! I really appreciate it...

I actually spent most of yesterday afternoon down at Scuba Connection in Hillsborough with Wayne, who helped me put my tanks together, etc.. Got a 60 lb wing, and new Atomic regulator so that I can preserve my warm water gear intact. Looking forward to trying this out with my instructor at Dutch this spring, we'll see how it goes from there!

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

It was nice meeting you yesterday. I was at the Scuba Connection picking up my doubles and leaving my regs to get service. Wayne's advice is priceless. When he sets you up gear wise, all you have to work on is technique. Not blaming the gear because your out of trim.

Good Luck,
Darren

DoctorMike - It was great working with you yesterday. We got a lot of things cleaned up which will definitely add to you working more efficiently in the water. Good luch working with your new doubles configuration, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Hi Mike,

It was nice meeting you yesterday. I was at the Scuba Connection picking up my doubles and leaving my regs to get service. Wayne's advice is priceless. When he sets you up gear wise, all you have to work on is technique. Not blaming the gear because your out of trim.

Good Luck,
Darren

Hey, Darren... good meeting you yesterday! Looking forward to diving with them...

DoctorMike - It was great working with you yesterday. We got a lot of things cleaned up which will definitely add to you working more efficiently in the water. Good luch working with your new doubles configuration, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Hey, Wayne... thanks so much for cleaning up my rig, it feels GREAT to drop all that stuff, and I'm really looking forward to learning to use the doubles. You and your shop have always been terrific, DEFINITELY worth the schlep from NYC!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom