question on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danielprasch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
ok so i am pretty new to diving. i have the opportunity to buy a set of equipment and need some advice

Three single steel tanks-2 80's, 1 90. but the tanks have not been hydro sence 1995
older us divers cowsteau BCD that was not used much and looks new.
3 sets fins
old weight belt
old computer
and regs
all for $240
is this worth it
do you think tanks that old can pass hydro
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 7.53.56 PM.png

If you buy the gear and you fail hydro, you are out the cost of the gear AND the hydro. Can you offer to pay for the hydro first and then buy if they pass? This way you only risk the cost of the hydro (which you will be out that money anyways)

The tanks are worth more than $240. The backplate is $50 easily and looks like a tall, so maybe $75. Figure $2/lb for weights? The black fins in the $35 range, the others maybe $20 assuming the straps are OK and no cracks. The lights, BCDs, and booties are nearly worthless.

We would need to see better photos of the regulator pieces and the console to give an approximate value on them. But it would be unusual if they are worth more than $100 total

When I buy used gear, especially old... I look only at price of metal objects. Tanks, weights, BP. Everything else assume you'll have to trash.

Steel 80s n 90. Low pressure? Yoke or yoke/din? Plus rating valid during last hydro? If they have air inside 90% of the time steel will pass hydro. Hydro with vip is 35-60 bucks a tank. If these pass hydro, worth $350 for all three tanks. Bring a magnet to check that they are steel.

Weights $1-2 bucks a lb.

BP Stainless? $50 bucks.

The rest pretend, it's trash. You can try to use it just don't be surprised if it ends up being trash.

I see that you are in WA. You may want HP tanks to offset some more weight. But LP steels will be much better than aluminum. LP are great for boat diving. The BP If it's SS would be great. You'll probably want around a 40 lb wing to go with it.

Since you are new to diving, I would recommend you pass on purchasing the gear because you lack the experienced eye to know what to look for when evaluating the stuff. Ask yourself, do you really need 3 sets of fins? The bc is old and while it might work is a bit of a dated design and if it works, how long will it work for? Do you want an old computer? Nothing wrong with old per se, but does it work properly in the water at depth? Does it have user replaceable batteries? Does it have buttons that have seals you cant inspect and may start leaking? Weightbelt webbing and buckles are very inexpensive, so I wouldnt consider spending much on something used, but the weights themselves dont go bad if they are hard weights.

The tanks might be a decent deal as others have mentioned but there are some caveats. Some things to think about:
What is the internal condition of the valves? What is the internal condition of the tanks?
Will they pass hydro?

Buying used can be a great way to save some money but it can also be a great way to make your equipment costs higher and more frustrating than they need to be.

Buy used when you have a better idea of what you want and what you need, and what you are looking at. Right now all you probably see is scuba gear without understanding lifespan, value, and what your needs truly are. In the interim, join a club, rent, and borrow gear while you research what is available on the new and used markets and what would best integrate with they type of diving you plan to be doing.

-Z

If you buy the gear and you fail hydro, you are out the cost of the gear AND the hydro. Can you offer to pay for the hydro first and then buy if they pass? This way you only risk the cost of the hydro (which you will be out that money anyways)
This is a really good advice: hydro first at you expense, and buy only if they pass.

cool, old ScubaPro SeaWing fins.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom