Question on gear repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

This may be a bit heretical and a rant - so apologies...

We live in Boston and like all good divers we get our gear serviced. EVERY time we end up with gear that has a problem. This has happened virtually EVERY time.

I have a full machine shop in my basement, I service my race car, and am prepared to take responsibility for my actions (what a concept) yada, yada, yada.

I don't trust any of these 'folks'. How does a non-dive-shop person get the training and parts?

Thanks and sorry about the rant - having lost dive time to fix things...

Some reg brands make getting parts easier than others, but even the one that supposedly restrict the sale of there parts only to authorized repair stations can be had. It just takes some work.

Check ebay and the forums for people selling kits.

Check ebay and the forums for the CDs / DVDs on how to service various models.

Buy the Oxyhackers Reg books.

Make connections with a shop that does sell and service your regs. Make yourself useful *to them* Dive shops all need a friendly machinist to help keep their fill station running / remove the broken fastener etc.

Standardize on a given reg brand / model and stock up on the kits when you have the chance.

Make sure you are good as you think you are, test those serviced regs….

Tobin

OP: What brand regs do you have and are you trying to service? That makes a big difference on how easy it is to source parts and materials. Which regs you have also influence the ease of repair.

One thing I'll say is that reg servicing isn't like an oil change. I have an IP gauge that "snaps" into my inflator hose. That tells me the "health" status of my first stage. If it reads good, and my second stages breathe well, then I'm off to the races. I only open them up when the IP starts creeping up or something is leaking....and there's usually plenty of warning. Just one point of definition: IP is "intermediate pressure." Your first stage regulates the "HP" of the tank down to an "IP" which should be stable and adjustable, and it's frequently 120-140psi. If it creeps up over time, it can be indicative of issues. Your second stage receives that "IP" and regulates it down again to ambient pressure. What this means to you is if your first stage is putting off the same pressure to your second stages that it should be, and they're breathing fine, then there's nothing to change and nothing really wrong......until there's a leak.

Tobin's point about standardizing regs is a good one. I sold all my regs (well, still selling some) so I could standardize to one make/model to only have to carry parts-kits. His point about making yourself useful to them is a bigger one, and is often the best way to source "hard to find" parts kits.

With respect to E-Bay, while I do a lot of gear shopping there, I'd be very careful of the service kits listed there as they're commonly NOS (new OLD stock) and I see no point in buying 20-30 yr old O-rings that are likely WAY past their prime. One exception to the rule would be Bryan @ Vintagedoublehose, he and his helpful supporters have assembled new service kits (with brand new O-rings, etc.) sourced from various places that equal or exceed OEM specs, but they're not 'genuine' OEM kits.

Thanks guys!

All good information! My wife and I use Scuba-pro so that is the standard. Will check out these links when we get home.

Ray

I am not a disgruntled tech, just tired and nervous of trusting my lifeline to these guys...

Ray, Me too and it's not rocket science. It's simple (at least for the regs I have) - no need for books and practice regs - if you have the service manual and the parts someone with your skill set will find it totally easy. It's plain common sense for someone who knows how to do mechanics. You will praobaly need a couple of tools if you don't already have them (IP guage for setting the 1st stage, spanner for opening the 1st stage, sometimes a special socket [I need a 5.5 mm] to set the crack on the 2nd stage). All are inexpensive. I need to look up where I get my parts from. I can add that later. As Nike says - just do it.

Ray, Me too and it's not rocket science. It's simple (at least for the regs I have) - no need for books and practice regs - if you have the service manual and the parts someone with your skill set will find it totally easy. It's plain common sense for someone who knows how to do mechanics. You will praobaly need a couple of tools if you don't already have them (IP guage for setting the 1st stage, spanner for opening the 1st stage, sometimes a special socket [I need a 5.5 mm] to set the crack on the 2nd stage). All are inexpensive. I need to look up where I get my parts from. I can add that later. As Nike says - just do it.

I have a different opinion on this. While servicing regs is easy, it does take some knowledge and understanding to be a service tech as opposed to a parts swapper. Part of the problem with dive shops is they employ parts swappers who may or may not have been to training on the regs but even if they have, they still do not UNDERSTAND how a reg works. Without that level of understanding you can never be a good technician. To get that knowledge you have to be trained some way, either by a good class (and the tech schools are not) or study the subject on your own. That is where to books come in, they teach you how and why a reg works, not just how to swap parts. Can you just swap parts and get away with it, most of the time but if you really want to understand what you are doing and more importantly why, then the books are very important. If you are worried about your "life support equipment" then you should also be willing and interested enough to become a real technician and not a simple parts swapper.

Last edited:
You will praobaly need a couple of tools if you don't already have them (IP guage for setting the 1st stage, spanner for opening the 1st stage, sometimes a special socket [I need a 5.5 mm] to set the crack on the 2nd stage). All are inexpensive. I need to look up where I get my parts from. I can add that later. As Nike says - just do it.
A good source is Scuba Tools There are some good general brand specific tools like the multitool for Scubapro and also some model specific tools like the assembly tool for MK20/25. And of course a selection of lubes, picks, etc.

I highly recommend both books but I personally found Harlow's the most helpful. And there are a ton of helpful threads on servicing Scubapro on SB, mostly in the DIY forum.

For kits, VDH has some for the older Scubapro models and herman (post # 17) also sells a few excellent model specific tools.

I have no mechanical background so took the guys suggestion and started with some used regs I got on eBay.

I have a different opinion on this. While servicing regs is easy, it does take some knowledge and understanding to be a service tech as opposed to a parts swapper. Part of the problem with dive shops is they employ parts swappers who may or may not have been to training on the regs but even if they have, they still do no UNDERSTAND how a reg works. Without that level of understanding you can never be a good technician. To get that knowledge you have to be trained some way, either by a good class (and the tech schools are not) or study the subject on your own. That is where to books come in, they teach you how and why a reg works, not just how to swap parts. Can you just swap parts and get away with it, most of the time but if you really want to understand what you are doing and more importantly why, then the books are very important. If you are worried about your "life support equipment" then you should also be willing and interested enough to become a real technician and not a simple parts swapper.
I couldn't agree more. I'm not in the camp of guys saying it's life support and you'll die if you change hoses. However, there's a lot more innuendo than changing parts. A few books or a few hours with a good mentor really would go a long way towards successfully learning to service ones own regs.

Last edited:
Once again Thanks!

When I get back, will likely ask more questions. Will definitely get the books, am an engineer by profession so understanding things is important to me...

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom