Question on Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casey13

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question for some people with more experience. I plan on doing a dive internship with the Mermaids in Pattaya, Thailand. With this they provide you with a set of equipment. I am wondering peoples thoughts on the equipment provided, They do offer upgrades. So any imput on wether its good stuff or some pieces I should look into upgrading. Many Thanks, here is the link.

internship scuba diving instructor package equipment interns dive

Someone not to long ago asked the very same question about the very same place. I can't seem to find the thread but maybe someone can turn it up.

I'm pretty well against buying a kit or using supplied gear but that doesn't mean it isn't perfectly safe to use. If people died everyday on rental gear or preconfigured packages then it wouldn't exist.

Not bad. I'm not familiar with all the brands listed. But you can't go wrong with ScubaPro. There is an old saying among carpenters that goes "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools." The critical equipment listed (i.e. regulator and BCD) is from reputable manufactures. The rest is up to you as far as skill and personal preference goes.

Are you asking about the mermaids or the dive gear?:eyebrow:

The regulator set and dive computer is good. It could be upgraded to a higher performance model.... but that would be an investment dictated by your future diving plans. Scubapro is a good, safe brand though.

You could save money on the reel, by replacing it with a 40-50m finger spool/s....

mgefingerreel.jpg

Mask fitting and comfort is a very personal issue. I would prefer to source my own mask from a wider selection. This could be an object that was worth upgrading.

The BCD seems fine. However, I am a staunch advocate of BP&W...so it wouldn't ever be a choice I would make.

The fins are basic and ok. You may want to investigate upgrade options for these - if you wanted something that was higher performing or more efficient in the water.

The knife is 'ok'. Personally I would go for Titanium. I don't like folding knives either.... I always use a Halcyon knife....small, sharp and immediately available for emergencies.....
Drysuit_Seaskin_Halcyon_Knife2.jpg

The compass is good.

The torch seems okay.... but I would always prefer an LED torch, preferably with a metal housing. They are more robust, longer duration and perfect for most recreational uses, outside of wreck and cave penetration.
515uynlWYzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The choice of 'lift bag/DSMB is not mentioned. I've seen most people in Thailand using truly horrible cheap plastic, open-ended, DSMBs. IMHO, you should make sure that you get a good DSMB...... for tropical diving an oral inflate, small capacity, closed bag is excellent....

SS-image-2009-02-24-49a43b46c7f44.jpg

Thank you very much for the detailed responce, I will look into these things. Its good because most these things you could show me a great one and a terrible one, and I dont think i could spot the difference. Which is why I really appreciate the experienced perspective.

Hi Casey, I've already sent you a PM regarding internship info. Let me talk about gear here.

Most internship sets, including ours, is based on the same gear used for rental. Mermaid's and we both use the MK2/R190 regulator which is solid, if not spectacular. It is, however, unbalanced and you will find that an upgrade to a balanced regulator will provide easier breathing at depth, particularly as your tank goes below the 50% mark. Higher-end regulators also provide more user adjustments and need to be serviced less often. For mid-range upgrades we suggest the Scubapro MK-17/395 or the Aqua-Lung Titan ACD. Our most popular high end choices are the Scubapro MK25 / S600 and Aqua-Lung Legend ACD

In BCDs, we use primiarly the Scubapro T-One rental BCD. Mermaid's website shows they use something else, but that hasn't been updated in a while and they might have switched back to the Scubapro as well. Again, it's a basic BCD whose best features are its durability and two big Velcro-closed pockets. Upgrades will offer much more creature comforts, such as more padding, more steel D-rings and integrated weight systems and larger vented pockets. Our most popular upgrade is the Seaquest Pro QD. Great performance and durability for the price.

Upgrades to other parts of the package aren't as crucial. A mask is the most popular choice among the balance of the gear package, as mask fits are a personal thing. Torches are another popular item. We provide a small backup torch standard. Not sure a torch is included at all in ther Mermaid's one. I'd have to look again. 3w LED aluminum torches are proving to be the stnadard choice now among our interns. Best to simply decide on that kind of thing once you arrive.

We'd obviously like you to choose us, but no matter where you end up, do not feel pressured to buy upgrades in advance. We put all our upgrade options on our website, but only as a gude to what's available. We offer the same discounts in house, once you arrive, as we do if you order them in advance. It's best you see the stuff, try it on and we give you a few days to talk with other interns, try their gear, etc. so you make a decision you're comfortable with.

Also don't listen to sales pitches that the basic set is crap. We've heard some troubling stories out of other internship programs where new students arrive and the manager of the company has literally told them "well, yeah, that's the package, but I'd never use it. It's junk. You really need to buy THIS." That's BS. The entry-level Scubapro equipment is solid and dependable. It's one reason so many shops use it for rental.

Again, don't upgrade until you've had a chance to talk to other students and try their gear, if possible. If the internship program won't let you do that or won't supply rental gear free for a few days while you decide, then you're choosing the wrong program.

Being an internship provider, I realize my objectivity and motives are suspect here, but what I'm simply trying to do in this post is offer some tips based on years of experience seeing new students come through. Hope it helps.

The gear is mediocre, bottom of the line in almost every case. Gear that I'd not purchase, recommend, nor find acceptable where I to be renting it. Could you go diving with it? Sure, but I have no idea why you'd want to ... with the exception of the compass, which despite its position at the bottom Suunto's line, I think is one of the best compasses out there.

Hi Mermaid's and we both use the MK2/R190 regulator which is solid, if not spectacular. It is, however, unbalanced and you will find that an upgrade to a balanced regulator will provide easier breathing at depth, particularly as your tank goes below the 50% mark.

In BCDs, we use primiarly the Scubapro T-One rental BCD. Mermaid's website shows they use something else, but that hasn't been updated in a while and they might have switched back to the Scubapro as well. Again, it's a basic BCD whose best features are its durability and two big Velcro-closed pockets. Upgrades will offer much more creature comforts, such as more padding, more steel D-rings and integrated weight systems and larger vented pockets.

There's nothing wrong with a scubapro MK2. Balanced vs unbalanced has NOTHING to do with depth compensation. It affects IP as the tank empties. You'll find with a properly adjusted MK2/R190 that there is a SLIGHT increase in breathing resistance as the tank approaches 500 PSI, and gets progressively stiffer under 500. Most recreational divers would not even notice a difference until the tank was well below 500 PSI. That's from direct experience. Again, balanced/unbalanced has nothing to do with he reg's response to depth increases. If you're going to professionally provide gear and describe it, you might as well learn that.

Regarding the BC, I think jacket BCs are a horrible idea to begin with, and as such, less is more. The simpler, less padded, less pocketed BC will almost certainly be better for diving, all other things equal. "Upgrading" to a bulky, junk-encrusted BC with all sorts of helpful "features" is somewhat ironic IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom