Question on dir-f card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering, has anyone who has taken the DIR-F recently in doubles, did your card say "Trained in Doubles" on it? Mine arrived today, and doesn't say anything like that on it. I was hoping that it would, since some places will not let you use doubles if you don't show that you were trained in them.
Thanks.

Jasonmh:
I was wondering, has anyone who has taken the DIR-F recently in doubles, did your card say "Trained in Doubles" on it? Mine arrived today, and doesn't say anything like that on it. I was hoping that it would, since some places will not let you use doubles if you don't show that you were trained in them.
Thanks.

Considering that one can take DIR-F in both singles (w/ K, H, or Y-valve) or doubles, why would there be any special designation as to which configuration you used in your class?

Shouldn't the card be enough for whoever is questioning your abilities whether or not to "let" you use doubles?

Mel

melfox26:
...why would there be any special designation as to which configuration you used in your class?

Because GUE does differenciate between someone who has taken the class in doubles vs someone who has taken the class in singles, for the purposes of further training. And because my instructor seemed sure that with the new curiculum that was being put on the cards now.

melfox26:
...Shouldn't the card be enough for whoever is questioning your abilities whether or not to "let" you use doubles?

That would be up to the people who run the location. If the card itself does not say that I was trained in doubles, then how would the person looking at the card know if I was or not? I'm not saying I agree with it, but that is how it is in some places.

Regardless, for those who are interested in the answer, the offical answer I got back from GUE is that they do differentiate between singles vs doubles, but right now it is only listed in the student's file with GUE, but they are still not sure if they are going to put it on the card in the future.

melfox26:
Considering that one can take DIR-F in both singles (w/ K, H, or Y-valve) or doubles, why would there be any special designation as to which configuration you used in your class?

Shouldn't the card be enough for whoever is questioning your abilities whether or not to "let" you use doubles?

Mel

I think Jason was looking for something that designated a technical pass or a recreational pass as they have different requirements. If there were that designation then he would have an easier time renting equipment during trips (like double tanks, rather than single tanks) and staying within his training.

Jasonmh:
I was hoping that it would, since some places will not let you use doubles if you don't show that you were trained in them.
Thanks.

So who does this? Never heard of such a thing before?

Oh it's out there JasonB. Take a trip to Ginnie Springs sometime.

What difference does it make? Diving with a single or with twins is basically the same except twins are slightly easier.

Jason B:
So who does this? Never heard of such a thing before?

That is a good question. I have heard of some places in the US that do, but don't have firsthand knowlege, so I won't speculate there. I do know that when I was in MX I had 2 DMs tell me that there were places (one was referring to a particular dive op, and one was referring to some of the Cenotes) that told me that if you want to dive doubles they require proof that you have training in them. This was also told to me by someone who lives there and dives with doubles there, so I have no reason not to think they were being truthful. It was not "everywhere" or "everytime", but enough to be a problem and probably be turned away at some locations.
My instructor was telling me that he thought the new cards specifically said "Trained in Doubles" on them, and that it should help when I go there next time. That was kind of the basis for my question.

Walter:
What difference does it make? Diving with a single or with twins is basically the same except twins are slightly easier.
Good question, you'd have to ask the people that make the rule. And by people I mean the people/company that own the land or dive op that requires this.

You cannot dive the open water portion of the Devils system in Ginnie Springs with doubles unless you have a cave card. Dumbest thing I have ever seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom