Question on Cleaning Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Matt

Reaction score
Hey there,

I was curious, How the Heck do you clean the inside of the tank. Exspecially steel tanks?

I use a stainless Steel Rotating Brush on a drill on my steel tanks, but the "flash" rust not pits doesn't want to come off... Will it ever come off??? Or is there a certain solution i have to use??

Thanks,
Matt

Dive shops put a special cleaning solution in and a bunch of glass marbles and then set the tanks on a set of motorized rollers and roll them for hours..... the glass marbles will clean anything on the sides.

If it's very rusty, then they might condemn it.

age old fix, they call it tumbling. does a hell of a job.

dbg40:
age old fix, they call it tumbling. does a hell of a job.

So Marbles huh.... I use a Gravel type of mix. But It doesn't seem to get rust color look off the sides...

The Tank isn't pitting, I just want the inside to look Clean... Not nessicerely polished, but clean.

Manta Matt:
So Marbles huh.... I use a Gravel type of mix. But It doesn't seem to get rust color look off the sides...

The Tank isn't pitting, I just want the inside to look Clean... Not nessicerely polished, but clean.

Dry them without oxygen.

When they get O2 cleaned, dump them inside out and dry them, quickly, with an inert gas like nitrogen. My LDS uses helium from the leftover bottles in his trimix cascade. Without O2, rust can't form. Problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom