question I thought about but its kind of disgusting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltydawg:
got a bad batch of yakisoba going to the beach one day in Okinawa, hit the water and spewed.. the noodles got all caught up in the regulator made for a very interesting several minutes clearing...'specially the noodles that got caught comming out of my nose into the mask

:rofl3: ...again

I'm just one more person with first hand experience with this. Yep, keep the reg in, secured with a hand if need be, heave away, I've used my tongue to guard against anything returning into my airway on inhalation. Once done, switched to my backup while I swished my primary around and purged it to ensure that everything was cleared.

CORALCRAZED:
here is a what if... you are diving and feel sick. weather is was something you ate or the motion of the boat or both. you need to throw up (yuck I know). what do you do? do you
a. secure your reg in your mouth by holding it with one hand while you do your buisness
or
b. remove the reg. and do what you have to but keep it close to you to get a breath in between.

I would think that it is safer to keep your reg. in your mouth but could that lead to a clog... due to a chunk. I know, I know yuck...

but I am seriouse about the question... does anyon know if reg's are designed with this in mind? hey its only fish food :rofl3: ok I'll stop now.

I remember in our classes years ago('85) instructor said 'just go, do not remove'....

Yup, we were taught in class to keep the reg in and also avoid Burger King before a dive or you will quickly learn this skill.:coffee:

It really should be taught because as already stated it would be very bad to suck water into your lungs....

This is a strange story, but on topic. A year ago I was diving in Costa Maya. This one guy that drove down all the way from Alaska kept throwing up during the dive. I wasn't buddying with him, but I did swim over to check to see if he wanted to go up because his buddy didn't seem to be bothered by him throwing up a couple of times. He signaled he was fine and we continued the dive.

At the end of the dive, some of the people were having a hard time getting themselves into the tiny boat, so I stayed in the water; hanging on with one arm on the boat, and used the other arm to assist a couple of the divers. The guy who had been throwing up most of the dive asked me to help him, so I swam over and started to help. Almost immediately, he threw up on me. Really nice.

Anyways, everyone's up, and I did a couple of swims around to clean myself up and got on the boat. We were all talking and it turns out that the puking guy often did this on his dives and his buddy was used to it. He told me he makes sure he eats oatmeal, eggs, or whatever small so as not to dirty up his regulator incase he would have to throw up during a dive. The guy was totally prepared and unphased with puking during the dive. I found this kind of weird and thought that I would avoid boat dives if I had this problem. But what do I know.

On a side note, there were 6 paying divers on the boat. Two of them drove from Alaska and two others drove from Oregon. That's a lot of driving to Costa Maya.

BTW, he did get to see the most fish on the dive. :wink:

I had a dive buddy that did this a couple of times. Normally it was because he was feeling sick from the diesel fumes of the boat ride.

Keep the reg in the mouth due to the need to breathe. Also, it makes a VERY nice chum field for the fish to eat. You will see a LOT of fish once you finish.

When I was a kid and first started diving I used to feed the fish. (Even the fish like a warm meal sometimes.) When I dove a double hose reg I had to remove it from my mouth when I blew, and had to fight the urge to breath in afterwards. But with a single hose I would keep it in, and I never had a problem.

One day it just stopped, and now I can go out in pretty much anything without feeling sick. For me it was just something that I guess I outgrew.

Keep the reg in, and feel free to feed the fishies.

fisheyeview:
When I was a kid and first started diving I used to feed the fish. (Even the fish like a warm meal sometimes.) When I dove a double hose reg I had to remove it from my mouth when I blew, and had to fight the urge to breath in afterwards. But with a single hose I would keep it in, and I never had a problem.

One day it just stopped, and now I can go out in pretty much anything without feeling sick. For me it was just something that I guess I outgrew.

Keep the reg in, and feel free to feed the fishies.

Arrr! You've got your sea legs, er fins, now matey! :pirate4:

I have first-hand experience with throwing up, coughs, sneezes, hiccups, and all other manner of regulator trials. Keep a regulator in your mouth, and none of them are a big deal. (A bit of a distraction, perhaps, but no significant problem.)

Just remember to make an extra-controlled ascent if you're creatively using your regulator. Dry heaving counts as holding your breath, after all, but it's not a problem if you're doing a nice, slow, controlled ascent.

Perfect time to switch to that Spare Air you were asking about! Ought to be good for, what, maybe 2 heaves? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom