question I thought about but its kind of disgusting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to BVI with my (now ex-)wife and, as a gesture of support, went through the certification process with her, even though I was certified. We were bobbing around in 10 feet of water while she did some skill and I patiently waited. There was a pretty good surface chop, and I ended up puking through my regulator. (BTW, I think the proper technique is to kind of blow it through forcefully.) Anyway, I am, of course, swarmed with fish. My wife ended up eating meat all week, having lost her appetite for fish after seeing their diet firsthand.

Rick Inman:
The best thing to do is signal your buddy out of air and puke through his regulator. :eyebrow:
Oh man I'm still trying to get over how funnyit was to read that:rofl3: thanks for having a scence of humor about this.:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

thanks everyone... I think the verdict is out. I now know what to do just in case :) sorry again if I offended anyone. its something I was too embarassed to ask about when taking the class. again thaks to all.

I have experience with this skill! :11:

I have tried it both ways and I can tell you that A LOT depends on the regulator. My Delta IV is very easy to puke through, but other regs I have tried are not as easy.

If you've never tried this, there is no need to worry. It's actually kind of cool! To me it's easier than puking above water. You know how you gasp for air after each heave? With the reg in your mouth, you don't struggle to breathe because the reg provides plenty of air.

The first time I did it, I heaved, then breathed. Then I thought "Hey! This is pretty cool!" :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

BTW, I leave my reg in my mouth when I puke.

And I rinse it REALLY good after my dive! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Yep - I've done it through the reg. No problems. I was taught to do so as you apparently have an inhale reflex after throwing up.

Afterwards you'll find yourself surrounded by clouds of fish: so switch to your occy and watch the show. You can then while away you time on your deco stop by plucking out strands of lemongrass from your reg.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I've done it, too. Keep the reg in your mouth. It works fine. Also, I think it's good to keep the reg in your mouth because when you're doing something odd, confusing, stressful, etc. it's one less thing to worry about. Actually I'm a little suprised it wasn't covered in your OW classes; it was in mine.

got a bad batch of yakisoba going to the beach one day in Okinawa, hit the water and spewed.. the noodles got all caught up in the regulator made for a very interesting several minutes clearing...'specially the noodles that got caught comming out of my nose into the mask.... lesson learned .... take time and chew all of the noodles very well.. and to hold the regulator halfway in mouth and purge while spewing like a free flow regulator drill...keeps the gas supplied and keeps the chunks out......

That's about as bad as my buddy blowing rice through his. Yeah nothing like attracting fish in a fun way. I made sure the only thing in my stomach was pancakes. They don't taste bad coming back and the fish love it. Plus u don't wretch as bad when u can't identify last nights dinner! :l:

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

sambolino44:
I've done it, too. Keep the reg in your mouth. It works fine. Also, I think it's good to keep the reg in your mouth because when you're doing something odd, confusing, stressful, etc. it's one less thing to worry about. Actually I'm a little suprised it wasn't covered in your OW classes; it was in mine.

they only talked about caughing not throw up... :popcorn:

saltydawg:
got a bad batch of yakisoba going to the beach one day in Okinawa, hit the water and spewed.. the noodles got all caught up in the regulator made for a very interesting several minutes clearing...'specially the noodles that got caught comming out of my nose into the mask.... lesson learned .... take time and chew all of the noodles very well.. and to hold the regulator halfway in mouth and purge while spewing like a free flow regulator drill...keeps the gas supplied and keeps the chunks out......

now here is a good idea...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom