Question for UK divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
Up until now, I have mainly dived in tropical waters (Red Sea, Canary Islands) but have made the decision to really go for it this year and get a few certs and a lot of logged dives (have had enough of my 9 to 5 and want to go down the dive instructor route). At the moment I use a Scubapro R380 with a Mk20 first stage although I plan to buy an Apeks TX100 when funds allow. Scubapro recommend the R380 reg and Mk20 in waters above 10 degrees centigrade (for obvious reasons as it isn't environmentally sealed). Any of you experience any probs with this rig in UK waters? As a matter of interest, what temperature range do our coastal waters experience?

As a rough guide the Uk's coastal water temperatures vary from around 3-18 degrees C. Viz can be anything from 0-20+ metres. In addition , the tidal range can also be quite extreme. Of course, all of the above are subject to location and conditions. Sorry i couldnt be anymore specific at this stage, IF i get time i will do a little research and let you know. Meanwhile maybe Jon.T can help you out a little more than i can. Hope this helps you a bit. :)

No problem heads up glad i could help. Are you living in the UK? Or are you just thinking about diving here? If you can be more specific as to what type of diving you want to do , for example wreck, then maybe i can provide more info, i m sure Jon.T can also :)

I live in Huddersfield and will be into most forms of recreational diving - basically everything needed to get my AOW and Rescue diver certs (ie drysuit, wreck, deep, navigation etc). The club I have just joined dive mainly in Scotland (although we are diving nowhere at the moment due to the foot and mouth thingy). I guess I will be diving anywhere from Scapa Flow to Stoney Cove, starting in May this year and progressing through the winter (when I hope to start my divemaster cert).

Hiya!

I dive mainly on the south coast (Swanage etc) and have found the Oceanic Delta with the DX4 1st stage to be excellent. What I like about Oceanic gear is that all servicing parts are supplied free of charge and they have a lifetime guarantee. And the company is always *really* helpful on the phone...nothing is too much trouble. Another to consider for coldwater use is the Poseiden Jetstream which a lot of diving buddies swear by.

Originally posted by Heads Up
(have had enough of my 9 to 5 and want to go down the dive instructor route).

Be well prepared for stoney cove in the winter (when it's not possible to dive in the sea) when it is 2°C in the water, cold raining and bloody miserable above water, and you have a class of students diving in semi dry's that are cold through to the bone, and generally dispirited. (oh and having to get there ar 6AM to get a reasonable spot as well)

Instructing in the UK is not a bunch of roses! it is pretty tough work, that isn't payed overly well. You will be lucky if you can recover the cost of your DM, IDC and IE within the first 6 months. The going rate is about £40 per student qualified (sometimes less) and you will only get an average of 10 cards a week. You might end up spending 2 days with a group of 4 people, of which 1 won't qualify because of some reason (too cold usually) and then not qualifying others for 5-6 days. You might also have to try and bring in your own clients to supplement what a shop brings you. It is a very sporadic income, and during the winter months can be very quiet!

Shops will always sell you the dream, if it means that you will hand over serious ammounts of cash (over £1500 for the necessary basic courses, then add on extra for the speciality instructor courses) and they won't tell you how hard it really is. - the way to make money is to instruct part time for a while, and then work yourself into a position as chief instructor for a group of shops. However, that will generally require you to do a PADI IDC, IE, followed by 5 speciality instructor ratings for the MSDT, then having done enough certifications to be invited on a CD course (you have to be invited, it isn't just turn up and pay the money!!) then you can start making a reasonably reliable income.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think that you really ough to know what the situation is like.

Try and find a new day job that is more enjoyable using your current skills (if possible) as this might help. Getting suitably qualified isn't cheep, and there aren't all that many rewards for quite some time after you have started instructing.

Jon T

"the way to make money is to instruct part time for a while"

Thats my plan - to work as DM for my local shop next winter (when their current DM moves to Thailand), see if I like it and then take it from there. As for changing my day job, believe it or not, I'm an instructor anyway (all be it in classroom senarios) and really enjoy it (but don't want to be doing it for ever and certainly not in the UK)

As for Stoney Cove in December, I can hardly wait after the beautiful picture you have painted - ever thought of a job in advertising? (hehe)

Cheers for the advice though, much appreciated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom