Question for those running AI hoseless computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klavender1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently in the market for an AI hoseless computer. I've got a few in mind in the $500-$600 range. I would really not want to spend more than that. Less would be even better. :D For those holeless computers, do you still have the SPG as a backup? Here's my thought process:
I want to get rid of the SPG if I run hoseless. It hasn't gotten wet. So I'm pretty sure my dive shop will let me get a refund on it to be used against a computer (I'm on a budget). But then what happens if the computer craps out mid dive? So you have the SPG as a backup. But then what's the point of spending the money on hoseless? I can get non AI for less than $300 if I'm keeping the SPG anyways.

Keep a spare analog SPG and a scuba tool in your dive bag. If the AI capability of your computer craps out on a recreational dive with no deco. obligations, okay, you abort that dive, but can hook up your SPG for the next dive. So you're less the hose most of the time.

If you do technical diving, deco., cave, etc..., and are apt to be unable to proceed directly to the surface (with proper ascent rate and safety stop), that's a different situation with added concerns.

Richard.

Not sure where you're located (whether you're diving year round) or your time frame for purchase, but many brands run specials around christmas time. It's not uncommon to see free transmitter deals. You may want to hold off on that purchase until Mid November.

My first console had an inexpensive puck computer, a compass, and a SPG. It lives in my "save-a-dive" kit and has been used by myself and others several times. If I lost my computer during a dive, I would make a normal accent, estimating the depth and time for my safety stop (hopefully I would have a visual reference point). Once on the boat I would swap out my gauges and go back to tables, based on my previous dives.

I used to like the idea of having an air integrated computer much more before I had one. It is nice that it calculates my surface air consumption rate and I can see where it spikes, but I am just as happy to have a SPG. When clipped off, the hose really does not get in the way. It has an "Air Pig" alarm that I can't hear with my hood on, and my profiles are very conservative so any minor benefit I might get in allowable dive time by it taking in to account my air consumption is not relevant.

I doubt that I will ever pay for another AI computer again, not really worth the money and added complexity of the display. Simple is better.

-Chocula

Personally I would not dive without a backup SPG to my Galileo Sol. First, it takes a couple of minutes to get a pressure reading when you first turn the thing on, second it's just a matter of time before you lose a signal while diving. Why add extra stress to your diving. I use a high pressure woven hose for the small SPG and hardly notice it.

There are good reasons to use an AI wireless computer, but getting rid of a hose is not one of them.

I've been diving hoseless AI since the late 1990's and have never used a SPG, The biggest problem with the transmitters is the user not reading the manual and not changing the batteries. SPG crap out to the hose leaks, wrong reading, blows relief plug, drop your cylinder on it.

Soon after I started diving, I had the same idea: get an AI computer and get rid of the mechanical SPG. I did it, and so did my main dive buddy. But I soon found that system very unreliable, with both of us having problems on a regular basis, which made me give up on the idea.

Having a AI computer has its benefits, the biggest of which I find to have a log of air consumption during a dive. But I would not have as my only method of monitoring cylinder pressure. The transmitter can stop working (and mine did) at any time, including right before you start your dive or as soon as you enter the water. In both cases, having to stop everything and maybe climb back on the boat to take off the transmitter and put in a mechanical SPG would be a real pain and maybe make you miss a dive.

And for the record, I did read the manual and made sure the battery was full.

I will not use a wireless system without a backup SPG.

I have it clipped off to my left hip D-ring where it is tucked out of the way, but I can use it if needed.

I recently bought a Vyper Air, but have not bought the transmitter until funds are available. Even when I get the transmitter, I will continue to use my SPG. I carry multiple lights and multiple cutting devices as well. I also have an octo to go along with my primary. Two is one, one is none.

This may be a personal preference. But to those who inist not using a SPG, how having a SPG on HP hose with proper length get in the way of anything or create any issues at all.

The key here is proper length HP hose. If you tank is standing up, the SPG won't even touch the ground, so sitting tank on top of it is a not likely event. I would also argue a conventional routing/length of 2nd stage LP hose and Air2 hose length create a by far bigger entanglement hazard than a SPG on 24" HP hose.

IMHO, the only real advatnage of using AI is air consumption monitoring and logging. If you rely on air time remianing calculation by the computer, you will run out of air if you need to share air at air remainng time = 0 or near it. I know it is a corner case, but it is how rock bottom method considers gas planning, and I am not going to take a chance with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom