Question for ATX 50 sellers or owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
6 months ago I purchased an atx 50. I have found that in the head down position as well as at other sundry times the reg will leak small amounts of water. It also happened at 100 feet when I was getting close to 500 psi. Not critical but also not pleasant. Is this normal for this reg or should I send it in for warranty service?

thanks for the info

TheDivingPreacher:
6 months ago I purchased an atx 50. I have found that in the head down position as well as at other sundry times the reg will leak small amounts of water. It also happened at 100 feet when I was getting close to 500 psi. Not critical but also not pleasant. Is this normal for this reg or should I send it in for warranty service?

thanks for the info
Mine has never leaked water in any position as far as I know - I'd get it checked.

redkev:
Why were you at 100 ft with close to only 500 psi?
:11:
After I posted I figured someone would ask that. We were actually on our way to the surface from 110 ft, still within no-deco limits and only needed a safety stop. This was open water in a stone quarry.

TheDivingPreacher:
:11:
After I posted I figured someone would ask that. We were actually on our way to the surface from 110 ft, still within no-deco limits and only needed a safety stop. This was open water in a stone quarry.

Not the amount of air I would want if I was at 110ft with a safety stop yet to go, but thats me. As for the reg take it in for tuning something is not quite right.

There are a number of other things that you may want to glance at before you take it in. IT may be something simple like a totrn mouthpiece or diaphragm in the second stage causing a wet breathe. If it occurs in the head down I would suggest taking the diaphragm out of the second stage and checking for pinches or pin holes.

However because it is only this old I would agree with the preceeding posts. take it in for warranty. If the reg was older I would say tinker with it to troubl shoot, but don't waste your time.

As others have said, the reg should not be "leaking" just because the tank pressure dropped to 500 psi. This sounds like a problem with the mouth piece or with the reg needing to be serviced.

Simple 2nd stage service you can do yourself - clear any sand or other debri out of it then re-assemble.

WEll,
I had the shop take a look at the regulator. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Took it apart and inspected everything and put it back together. Told me to try it and if it still leaks I will have to mail it in to Apex for warranty service. :( Who wants to be without their new equipment for a month while it is shipped to the manufacturer. Who, I was told will do the exact same thing that the shop did, and then send it back telling me there is no problem. Boy am I happy.

I tried mine in every position this weekend, upside down (hor), feet at the top (vert), no problems at all. Compare it to your octo, is there any difference???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom