Question about wireless/hoseless computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
Hi all,

continuing my reading about buying my first computer, and I think I'm leaning towards a hoseless/air integrated model, as I like the idea of having all the information in one, easily readable place.

Apart from having the air guage on your wrist and the expected remaining gas time at current breathing rates, does air integration give you any other advantages that I'm not seeing?

I have read the arguments for and against going air integrated, so don't want to start that off again, I just want to be clear about the abilities that air integration offers.

So far I'm looking at the Oceanic VT Pro/Suunto Vytek (Expensive compared to the VT Pro), Suunto Vyper/Oceanic Versa Pro.

Didn't look at uwatec because I want user replaceable batteries.

Cheers,

J.

It might be nice to have it all in one place as you put it but you still have to.....or should.....wear an spg for back up.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
So, if you decide you want to get AI, I'd avoid getting the Vyper.

I know, I listed my top two AI computers and my top two non-AI computers. I'm leaning towards AI, but not completely decided. I put the non-AI units in for comparison to see just what extras I gain from AI over what the non_AI units offer.

Probably should have put an 'or' between the two sets. My bad.

thanks,

J.

There are two advantages to the wireless AI that I can think of:

1) Smaller regulator due to less hoses. This mostly make it easier to pack the reg in the dive bag (smaller reg). People spend a lot of money to get rid of hoses in the name of reducing drag. In my opinion this is bogus. If you have your hoses routed to prevent entanglements then they are nice and streamlined and stay out of the way. The tank on your back produces far more drag then your hoses ever should.

2) Automatic logging of the air. I like this because the computer (Vytec) automatically logs the beginning and ending air for the dive. This makes for a slightly more accurate SAC calculation because the computer will grab the pressure from the tank after it has been in the water and had a chance to cool (I dive in TX, tanks get hot).

That is all that I could think of based on my own experience.

I've never bought into the less drag ideas, given the size of bc, tank etc just as you've said. I like the idea of having better streamlining from a safety/entaglement point of view.

I'm still thinking of a spare spg mounted the way they do for the DIR setups. That way if the computer dies I have tank pressure and a watch to be able to safely finish the dive/ascend, and my buddy would have a working depth gauge. Not sure on that issue though yet.

Hadn't thought of the logging issue, that's a good thing to consider.

Thanks for your advice/help,

J.

DEFINITELY get an SPG for backup when using AI wrist mount. If your transmitter battery dies, or you have trouble sync'ing, you won't blow a dive because you had no way to measure your tank contents.

I use the Vytec with an DIR-rigged SPG on a 24" hose for backup.

Back
Top Bottom