Question about weighting in a thick suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Hawaii (and previously in Cozumel) I used a rental BC and forgot to note what brand they were :dork2: Here, I'll be using my own - an Oceanic Hera.

Do not listen to male experts. Females generally have more fat tissues so the would require more weight. My wife uses 4 lb more than me in a similar suit although she weights less than me and she is smaller. I use 14 lbs of lead with al tank in a 4 mil suit and she uses 18 in salt water. You need as much as you need. Just get enough weight to make you comfortable and then try to reduce it when you find out that thetank is near empty on tue stop, you have air inthe bc or you have no air but your lungs are100 full to maintainyour level

Being overweight by say 4 lb is no biggy if you have a BC but being underweight by 4 lb of your centreline can be a big problem

In Hawaii (and previously in Cozumel) I used a rental BC and forgot to note what brand they were :dork2: Here, I'll be using my own - an Oceanic Hera.

If you're anything like me, you are going to LOVE diving with your own BC vs. a rental (or, shall I say, a variety of rentals - ugh!). I was sooooo happy when I got my own.

I got curious, so I looked up the lift for the Hera. It varies by size, as follows:

X-Small =19 lbs.
Small = 26 lbs.
Medium = 34 lbs.
Large = 40 lbs.

So, depending on what size you have, it still might be worth a quick calculation so that you don't end up with a rig that won't float (without you in it) at the surface. Not like I'm saying there is a crisis or anything, but why not calculate in advance.

I'd be thinking as follows:

Reg: -1#
Tank: -1.4# (full AL80)
Weights: -25# (if you use this much)

So that would be close to 28#, which might be a bit heavy if you have an X-small or a Small Hera. Of course the Hera may have some inherent buoyancy which would offset this, and chances are you may have a medium anyway, but I'm just mentioning it because apparently the Hera is unlike the other vest BC's mentioned that all have like 40# of lift. It would probably be more "worth" calculating if you were using a more-negative tank.

It sounds like you plan to use a weight belt anyway, and those weights won't count "against" the BC lift, so this is likely a non-issue (as you can tell I just like to calculate things :dork2:)

That is one of the reasons why its good to have the weights attached to the items they suppose to compensate :) (says the guy who has all his 24 lb strapped to thebackplate ) :D

1 lb might be too fine grained. A male can swing I guess 7-8 pounds of buoyancy with the lungs. A female i would guess 5-6 so 1 lb weight does not make much difference you just adjust the level. I found that for me having +- 3 lbs off the centreline is just a matter of comfort.
Trim wise 2lbs is also negligable

So 1 lb weigts just adds bulk giving no much advantage especially if you have a buoyancy compensator

Well I like to use the 1# and 2# weights, but I realize that might not apply to everyone. One factor for me is that if I'm using an aluminum tank, I put some weight on the bottom of the tank in order to trim properly. That means I'm splitting up the weight between the two sides of the weight belt, and the two sides of the tank (which works better than one high-up central lump).

So if I'm diving with, say, 8#, then I'll put a 3# and a 2# on either side of the weight belt buckle, and then a 2# and a 1# on either side of the tank base. If 5#, then a 2# and a 1# on the belt, and 2 1# on the tank.

Also, in a continuing effort to reduce weight to the appropriate minimum, I'll often do a few dives at one weight total, and then remove 1# for a dive and see how it goes. That way if it proves to be too light, it's not by much and I don't have any problems. If it works, I go on and then maybe remove another 1# a few dives later.

Still, even once I've established my "minimums," I still find the small weights really useful, so I guess it just depends. If I knew I were wearing 25# or more on every dive, then I suppose I would choose differently (but it sounded like the OP was making a mix of colder and more tropical dives).

Or it may just be that I'm way too detail-oriented :whistling:

Well I like to use the 1# and 2# weights, but I realize that might not apply to everyone. One factor for me is that if I'm using an aluminum tank, I put some weight on the bottom of the tank in order to trim properly. That means I'm splitting up the weight between the two sides of the weight belt, and the two sides of the tank (which works better than one high-up central lump).

So if I'm diving with, say, 8#, then I'll put a 3# and a 2# on either side of the weight belt buckle, and then a 2# and a 1# on either side of the tank base. If 5#, then a 2# and a 1# on the belt, and 2 1# on the tank.

Also, in a continuing effort to reduce weight to the appropriate minimum, I'll often do a few dives at one weight total, and then remove 1# for a dive and see how it goes. That way if it proves to be too light, it's not by much and I don't have any problems. If it works, I go on and then maybe remove another 1# a few dives later.

Still, even once I've established my "minimums," I still find the small weights really useful, so I guess it just depends. If I knew I were wearing 25# or more on every dive, then I suppose I would choose differently (but it sounded like the OP was making a mix of colder and more tropical dives).

You can work with your posture to compensate for weight affecting the trim. While workin on the trim i was able to shift 8 lbs from the tail of the tank to the mid section. Of cause evwryone ia dufferent but you can do a lot with the posture to eliminate the trim weights from inconvenient places.

I'll keep that in mind.

I find that I don't have a trim problem with steel tanks and just the weight belt; but with aluminum I seem to have a "butt light/head heavy" problem and just a bit of weight on the bottom of the tank makes it all better.

I will work on my posture, as I'm sure it could be improved, but, OTOH, I don't want to have to change my posture between steel and aluminum tanks either (?)

I'll keep that in mind.

I find that I don't have a trim problem with steel tanks and just the weight belt; but with aluminum I seem to have a "butt light/head heavy" problem and just a bit of weight on the bottom of the tank makes it all better.

I will work on my posture, as I'm sure it could be improved, but, OTOH, I don't want to have to change my posture between steel and aluminum tanks either (?)

You can adjust you trim with your legs an head a lot. I dive al 80 lp 66 with backplate and weightbelt al 80 with a bc double al 80 and lp 108 and in everg case the leg and head position woyld be different. Moving say 4lbs along the centreline helps but 2 lbs are neglegable

Way too much weight..At 5'6"- 160 lbs you should be able to dive in a 5mm with no more than 12lbs of leads with a alum tank.In a 7mm suit you should wear around 16-18lbs.and that is for salt water..Steel tank less lead..I am 5'11" and 170 and use 6lbs in a 3 mm suit and 10lb in a 5mm..that is in salt water.Less lead in fresh water.
Oly5050user, that's quite a categorical statement you have made! I would think that as an instructor, you would have seen a lot of variation among divers in terms of natural buoyancy and weighting needs, and you would also realize that your own personal needs have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's needs.

Every diver is unique in terms of buoyancy and weighting needs; there are differences due to body type, gender, and even ethnicity, not to mention the extra weight that is needed by newer divers in order to sink their natural anxiety. We each need what we need. Period.

With experience (and as the wetsuit compresses after a number of dives) it's possible that the OP will be able to dive with somewhat less weight, and maybe one day she WILL be able to dive with 6 pounds in a 3mm suit and an alu80 tank, but I know I never will--it takes me 8 pounds in salt water and I am of a similar height/weight as the OP, the same gender, but rather more experienced.

Last edited:
halemanō;5858926:
I am disgusted with the way TexasKaren68 has been treated by some of the most prolific SB dive instructors! :shocked2:

She has been diligent in her strive to be a thinking new diver and the Weight Nazi's continue to tell her she is wrong and her instructors are wrong. :shakehead:

TexasKaren68; you are thinking correctly! :eyebrow:

If I were you I would buy a couple 4# or 5# weights. You can get a belt designed for both soft and hard weights; no need to think hard weight only for the belt. If you don't have much in the way of hips, the harness may also be available in soft/hard as well. With 7 mm hooded vest, I would start with 4# weights in each of the trim pockets. :wink:

Your AOW Instructor should also have some extra 2# &/or 3# weights on the first couple dives in case you are light at the SS. :coffee:

Not trying to be a "weight nazi"...using myself as an exanple of how much lead you may start out with..I teach almost every day of the week and at least 2 times a week have someone come in for a refresher.First thing I do is have them set their gear up and ask them how much lead they need.Very often I get an answer like 18 or 22lbs, and the person is in a 3mm shorty!
They are amazed that I can get them down to 6 or 8 lbs and they can descend and ascend so much easier that way...and if there is an emergency on the surface and they cannot get the bcd to hold air for whatever reason, they find they do not have to work as hard to stay on the surface.Usually they discover that they will float if they just relax and breath on regulator or snorkel, without even dropping and weight. Much safer way to dive for recreational divers. There is no magic # of lbs you may need.Just discover what you need and be carefull not to overweigh yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom