Question about the Fling and Spree...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
.Just wondering, where did they take the Fling and Spree for the storm----did they make it OK??.......here's hoping so.........

...per the Spreeexpeditions WWW site, FLING and SPREE both survived with no damage, and are now assisting in some capacity with the hurricane recovery efforts...although it's unclear if it's purely volunteer work or if they have some sort of government contract where they're paid for their help...either way, of course, we wish them all the best in their efforts. Nothing is said about the condition of 'their' boat docks...and it appears all pending FG trips are on some sort of indefinite 'hold'...which isn't surprising given the present state of the local infrastructure around Houston....millions without power, gasoline supplies exhausted as far as an hour north of Houston.

Both boats fared the storm with very littledamage (1 VHF antenna per boat). The docks are fine, power has been restored to the other side of the river, the Fling is housing and feeding cleanup workers, and the Spree is performing harbor clearance surveys of Freeport and Matagorda harbors.
I don't know how cool it is to bring customers into a hurricane zone, so the status of trips is questionable until power and infrastructure is restored to Freeport, which may be this week.

Frank

so what did you guys do? leave them at the dock or take them and tie them up in a "hurricane mooring" up a creek or something?

If they were tied to the dock, how do you handle storm surge and rising water? (or was it a floating dock?)

I'm assuming that diesel fuel (at the docks) is not pumping right now either? or perhaps contaminated with water.

just curious.

Thanks for posting Capt. Frank, Troy and I had been wondering.

Great to hear the vessels and crews are okay. Take care and best wishes for the recovery and cleanup. If there's anything we can do, let us know, Okay?

so what did you guys do? leave them at the dock or take them and tie them up in a "hurricane mooring" up a creek or something?

If they were tied to the dock, how do you handle storm surge and rising water? (or was it a floating dock?)

I'm assuming that diesel fuel (at the docks) is not pumping right now either? or perhaps contaminated with water.

just curious.

If the boats stayed in Freeport, the river has a storm gate that would block much of the surge.

If the boats stayed in Freeport, the river has a storm gate that would block much of the surge.

I read on another board....that Frank said that is where both boats were....

I read on another board....that Frank said that is where both boats were....

In reality, they got very lucky.....If that storm would have been a couple degrees more west ie about 100 miles west when making landfall, their boats might have ended up inland quite aways----no one close to shore was going to 'make it'....very good news for them in the long run......

Indeed we were very lucky and well insured, and when we evacuated from Rita, evacuated right into the storm in Margan City, all of which played a role in deciding what to do in the event of a hurricane.

During Rita, when Freeport was directly in the path of the storm, both Ken and I decided to leave for Morgan City. Our insurance company told us specifically not to put any crew on the boat, to leave them where they were, and keep ourselves safe. The Sea Searcher did ecxactly that and came through the storm just fine. The cost for the Spree was in the order of $40,000 in damage and moving costs. It cost the Fling closer to $15,000 to move. (I bent a wheel and tore up 2 engines, 1 was reparable, 1 had to be replaced. I came home on 1).

This year, the advice from the insurance commany was the same. I expected a 20 foot surge, so here is what we did:

We tied lines way back on the dock away from the boat. Normally when we tie up, we tie right next to the boat to keep the bot snug for boarding. I tied up as far as 100 feet away to put more scope in the lines. I tied up to the railroad bridge behind the boat with a 200 foot line. I figured that if I pulled the dock down, I would swing out into the channel and not hit the FLing (my greatest concern of all is 2 boats beating the crap out of each other). I then set the anchor in the middle of the channel as a last resort if all else failed. I knew I could come down on the dock without too much damage to the boat, but didn't want to end up 2 miles inland.

As it turned out, we did exactly the right thing, but if the storm hadn't taken the north jog right over the East Flower Garden Bank, results could have been different.

Mike, the diesel fuel was not pumping when I left yesterday, but should not have seawater in it, hopefully I will find out tomorrow, when I will need fuel.

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom