Question about the BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a newbie here......Haven't been around my equipment very long and have a question regarding the BC.

If I inflate my BC and hang it up. Should the BC lose air over time, or should it remain inflated until I let the air out? This may be a stupid question, but I need to know....:).

According to a good friend and long time equipment tech at a LDS, it is not unusal for a BC to leak down over an extended period of time, say 5-6 hours. This is not to say that it should go completely flat or dump air in several minutes. If you hear air comming out, that's def a bad thing..hehehe That being said, check the inflator hose connection to the BC, the overpressure relief valve and any other screw on connection to the BC, they should be snug. They do work loose from time to time.

Another thing, don't store them pumped up tight, a little air good, but at max is not.

Thanks herman!

Mine would go down after several hours, probably longer than the 5 or so that you had suggested. I just wanted to make sure that was normal. ALWAYS LEARNING!

Also, thanks for the tip on not leaving it fully inflated. I haven't done that but it's good to know not to. By the way, why is that such a bad thing? Wouldn't hurt to know the answer to that question as well.

Our Halcyon wings will hold a fill indefinitely... but as Herm says no need to subject them to continual stress...

Are you concerned that your BC is leaking down to fast and that perhaps you have a defect or problem that needs to be corrected to make it safe for diving???

I'm not worried about a defect that makes it unsafe for diving. Just wanting to know if it's normal or not for a BC to lose air over time. If it is, then all is well, if it's not, then I guess I need to take it to the dive shop to have it looked at.

It loses air very slowly, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Originally posted by Riderforlife13
If it is, then all is well, if it's not, then I guess I need to take it to the dive shop to have it looked at.
Personally I think any leak down is unacceptable... I use that as a test frequently to detect an incepient problem and correct it before it get worse.... maybe just a grain of sand in the dump valve seat.

If you feel competent take the valve bodies apart and clean all the surfaces... disassemble, clean and lube the inflator mechanism... then re-test for leak down.

If you don't feel competent take it into the LDS to have this done and pay them extra to let you watch so that you can do it yourself the next time.

This is just a regular part of equipment maintenance.

What do you recommend lubing the valves/inflator with? Also, what is safe to use when cleaning the valves?

Originally posted by chrispete
What do you recommend lubing the valves/inflator with? Also, what is safe to use when cleaning the valves?
Use only genuine O2 compatible Uncle Pug spit.... or your own spit... or a damp cloth... or your sleeve...for cleaning...

I just like to keep everthing silicone free as much as possible so I use my almost empty little vial of generic O2 safe grease for o-rings... nothing else needs lubing afaik....

Mike F. could probably tell you what the industry recommends.

"Use only genuine O2 compatible Uncle Pug spit.... "

Looking at your avatar and the above quote sounds a lot like

"Military Intelligence"

Just the ravings of an insomniac!

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom