Question about swimming ability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
As someone who just recently went through the process of learning how to swim, I really don't care what the dictionary says. You can be perfectly comfortable on, around and in the water without knowing how to swim -- and you can have the cardiovascular fitness necessary to kick for an hour without knowing how to swim. The process of learning how to swim involves a lot more than just cardiovascular fitness and comfort in the water. It is, however, an excellent way to get cardiovacularly fit and to gain comfort in the water. However, learning how to swim didn't help me in the slightest become more comfortable in the water, so your logic that all divers must become swimmers in order to become comfortable in the water is flawed. It does not follow. OTOH, it is valid to state that swimming is an excellent way for divers who have anxiety over being in the water to become more comfortable.

I gave you the Webster's definition of swimming because you said " thats not swimming, that's kicking on your back with fins and a buoyant exposure suit on.......swimming is swim trunks, goggles and doing the crawl... " I am simply pointing out that you are, in fact, swimming!

You go on to state..."You can be perfectly comfortable on, around and in the water without knowing how to swim ....--learning how to swim didn't help me in the slightest become more comfortable in the water, so your logic that all divers must become swimmers in order to become comfortable in the water is flawed."......
& you think my logic is flawed?!?
I'll give you that an insane man may feel perfectly comfortable falling out of an airplane without a parachute.......but his feeling of comfort will sadly be short lived.<G> I fail to see how a sane man could (or should) possibly feel comfortable in the middle of the ocean without being a pretty good swimmer.

Devil505:
I fail to see how a sane man could (or should) possibly feel comfortable in the middle of the ocean without being a pretty good swimmer.

Because they understand that if you can float you won't drown?

I grew up around boats and kayaks without being a strong swimmer and, really, life preservers fix the whole drowning issue... Similarly a wetsuit or drysuit, particularly with a functioning BCD/Wing does the same...

i posted some entries previously in this thread. that was a month ago when i first took my OW course. i was not a swimmer then; i could barely swim. but after the course i became more comfortable with the water, at the surface and down under, and my swimming ability (or the lack of it) has nothing to do with it.

now, with my continuous weekend diving, i have also learned and is developing the art of swimming properly. i know this because i had a situation that called for it last weekend and i was able to make use of it. a colleague of mine who can swim superbly panicked and lost her self control and well, her swimming capability did her no good.

so it happened the other way around for me. and although i do recognize that it helps build up confidence in scuba diving when you are already a good swimmer, it doesnt ruled out the fact that non-swimmer cant get as much comfort underwater.

its a mindset. if people panic and lose self control, swimmer or not, they gonna be in big trouble.

rhadamantus:
i posted some entries previously in this thread. that was a month ago when i first took my OW course. i was not a swimmer then; i could barely swim. but after the course i became more comfortable with the water, at the surface and down under, and my swimming ability (or the lack of it) has nothing to do with it.

now, with my continuous weekend diving, i have also learned and is developing the art of swimming properly.

Exact same situation for me. Diving has made me a good swimmer (not so much from the diving aspect, becuase there's not really any swimming involved, but just being in the water goofing around while waiting for other divers to return etc.)

Ok, now I understand! As long as you feel comfortable you can't really get into too much trouble!! This opens up a whole new world to me:

1. I know nothing about electricity but I suddenly feel comfortable enough to go downstairs & start rearranging some wires in my electrical box. (the damn things have all different numbers....10/2, 12/2, 14/3....) I'm gonna make things better by changing them all to....Oh., let's see...14/2 sounds good!
2. Next, I think I'll goto my local airport & (even though I have never flown a plane) I feel comfortable enough to borrow someone's light plane & do a little site seeing! (What's the worst that could happen? ...I can always parachute to safety, right?)
3. After supper, I think I feel comfortable enough to perform a little open heart surgery on Uncle Lou!

Why would anyone be crazy enough to believe that you really should know how to swim before you venture way out into the rough, cold ocean???

Ok, I have to reply to this. Swimming ability hum lets see yelp its probally a good thing to be able to swim if your in the the water at any time. See the thing is I dont know how to swim and I love to dive but this is comming from some one who disarms bombs for a living.

Hey Dreadnaught, If you need help with Uncle lou I saw an episode of "ER" once and I feel comfortable enough to help with the surgery!

dbombtek:
Ok, I have to reply to this. Swimming ability hum lets see yelp its probally a good thing to be able to swim if your in the the water at any time. See the thing is I dont know how to swim and I love to dive but this is comming from some one who disarms bombs for a living.

I know nothing about bombs dbombtek but I feel comfortable in helping you disarm a few! (What the hell, what's the worst that could happen anyway?)

I know nothin about flying dreadnaught, but I'd still like to give skydiving a try. I must be crazy huh?

I've never once had to swim while scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom