Question about swimming ability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ga40456

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting my SCUBA cert a few weekends from now (weekend clases, dives the next weekend) and I'm a little nervous about the actual swimming aspect of it- I know that soudns stupid (we're going to be in the water, obviously there is going to be swimming required) I haven't actually swam any distance in several years- I can swim and am not going to drown or anything like that, but I'm still a little nervous. I'm not planning on doing any really vigorous diving- I will admit to being strictly a 'tourist' diver. Can anyone offer any advice or words of wisdom on what type of swimming is required? Thank you!

Swimming under the water in your scuba equipment is very relaxing and stress free. You will, however, be required to swim a certain distance to meet the health requirement to take the course (PADI). I can't remember the exact requirements off the top of my head, I think it was 200 meters no stop swim or 300 meters with a mask/fins/snorkel. Either way I thought it was pretty easy but I'm also a swimmer so that helps.

Basically this is what it boils down to. Scuba diving in most locations is very easy as far as physical exercise goes. Completing the swim test before you start the class can be a little difficult but it's much easier if you do it with the mask/fin/snorkel.

You'd be suprised at how little swimming ablility is need to dive. Does it help, sure, but its nothing to fret about. I've helped train people that had next to no swimming skills at all. As long as your comfertable in the water and have a decent swimming ability, you'll do just fine.

Not sure who is certifying you, but to get a basic open water certification you don't need any swimming skills/stamina beyond what a moderately healthy person with average swim skills would have.

Someone more knowledgeable can weigh in on the exact requirements (or you could ask your instructor), but if I recall correctly, it was something like being able to swim one length of the pool underwater on a breath-hold and something like 4 lengths of the pool without stopping in less than some ridiculously long amount of time (15 minutes?). This was about 9 years ago and with PADI, so things may have changed a bit, but probably not much. I was able to meet all of the swimming requirements very easily without any particular swimming skill (I think my stroke would be officially classified as something like a freestyle, breast-stroke, doggie paddle hybrid).

David The Gnome:
Ah yes, I forgot you also have to be able to tread water for I think 5 or 8 minutes, somewhere around there. Keep in mind this is with PADI and I just finished the class last month.

I had to tread water in a wet suit, in the ocean - boy was that a tough one. I did about 1/2 of it with my hands out of the water.

Swimming and treading water are, for the most part, about being comfortable in the water. A little practice goes a long way.

I don't recall an underwater swim with PADI, but maybe so. I do remember that the swim test had no time requirment though. Take as long as you would like.

He/She's concerned about the swimming part of the test (not while actually diving). Scuba itself does not require much swimming skill (especially underwater).

As far as the certifying test, you'll have to swim a predetermined distance. My g/f is not a strong swimmer and she had no problem doing it. They give you all the time in the world to do it so just take your time. It's not that far of a distance. The treading water for 10 minutes (or was it 5 minutes) is scary sounding, but you'll find it's easy to. At a certain point you get into a rythm and the time flies by. I remember chatting with my instructor for 10 minutes regarding how fun diving in the carribean will be, etc.

You'll have no problem. I'm a strong swimmer but have never treaded water for more than a minute, I was nervous but found it super easy. My g/f was REALLY nervous and had no problems.

Good luck.

I dont think there was a time limit on the swim, just some set distance (10 yrs ago anyway...). If that is still the case and you get tired...roll onto your back and swim...its just like floating (cant think of the name of the stroke right now?). Nice a relaxed way...could probably swim miles that way..though it might take awhile.

logos:
I dont think there was a time limit on the swim, just some set distance (10 yrs ago anyway...). If that is still the case and you get tired...roll onto your back and swim...its just like floating (cant think of the name of the stroke right now?). Nice a relaxed way...could probably swim miles that way..though it might take awhile.

Backstroke.

Back
Top Bottom