Question about secondary Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have a quick question about a backup or secondary Computer. I currently have a Datamask which I really like. I am in the market for a back up or a secondary, I am thinking about the oceanic Atom 3.1 as I would like to keep the same Algorhythm, anyone have any experience with this unit? and what is the maximum diameter wrist it will fit? I am also considering this as a Daily watch.

Thank you for your replies. :)

The Atom 3.1 is an amazing unit and will fit most wrist sizes unless you have an extremely large wrist(I have a 7 1/2" wrist and it fits me with a few "notches" to spare). I should ask though just for the sake of conversation...what about this unit other than the algorithm and ability to wear as a watch jumps out at you?

Size of unit, No Compass, and ability to wear as a everyday watch. Air integrated. Available to purchase without transmitter. other than that to me it is just a backup unit and price being under $600, and uses the same Algo. as other oceanic devices.

I have only had really experience with Oceanic, and I trust my shop, I use. They are not pushy and just offer advice. I am used to the working of Oceanic, but am not against other MFG's

Gotcha, just as an option if you decide that AI isn't a "must have" check out the Geo 2.

I have thought about the Geo, but the size of it turns me off. This is really a dual purpose purchase for me. Most standard wrist watches do not fit my wrists, without ordering more links and then you are looking at big money for most nice Dive style watches, Citizen Etc, and if I am going to spend 500$ on a watch I might as well get one that could work as a back up to my datamask.

~Sorry thinking about wrong unit..... Geo is a Possibility but Like the AI feature.

Haha no worries, well if you have questions about either unit just let me know!

I appreciate it! I try to use my local shop as much as possible but if they will not work with price..... And I have only been able to really look at some consoles they have in stock they are supposed to be getting some "wrist units" in this week. so hopefully they will have both and can compare apples to apples.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Have a quick question about a backup or secondary Computer. I currently have a Datamask which I really like. I am in the market for a back up or a secondary, I am thinking about the oceanic Atom 3.1 as I would like to keep the same Algorhythm, ....
With the Atom 3.1 you will also be able to get tank pressure data from the same transmitter used by the Datamask.

and what is the maximum diameter wrist it will fit? I am also considering this as a Daily watch.

To the largest slot, it looks like it will fit about 9" circumference. It does come with an extension that can take it up to 14.5"...

The BUD should run the same algorithm, so that runs about $200 if you just want a backup. Doesn't make a very good watch, though.

I have the Atom 3.0. The 3.1 is identical except for having the Buddy Check feature removed (due to a patent infringement lawsuit). I like it a lot, but it's my first computer.

I'm 6' 1", 230 #, but I would say I have somewhat skinny wrists for my size. I wear the Atom over a 3/2 suit sleeve and I buckle it to the 3rd hole from the end. I.e. the strap is just barely long enough. However, as marcushall said, it comes with an extension that is more than long enough to fit me even when I'm wearing a 7mm suit.

My local shop was selling the 3.0 with the data cable and wireless AI transmitter for $555. Last I checked, their website said they were out of stock, but they still had a couple left on the brick and mortar end of the building. If you want to check, find their phone number on CoralEdgeAdventures.com and call them to see if they have any left.

Back
Top Bottom