Question about Open Water classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelG

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to all this.. I've been considering getting an open water certificate for a couple of years. Now that I have a house on a lagoon and a boat, I think it is time that I get my certificate.

I have a couple of questions, first, I'm about 5'8" @ 200 lbs. I know weight is not too much of a problem, but I'm sure that I should drop a few more pounds and get more physicaly fit, since I dont do much in the way of excersise or any athletic activity. Is diving something that I should seriously consider getting physicaly fit for??

Second question...I'm a smoker...about a half a pack a day.... :( I plan on quitting "some day" and can definitely cut down, but what kind of impact can this have on my ability to safely dive? I'm more concerned that the fact that I smoke, while it is already dangerous as is, could make diving extremely dangerous. Any thaughts, besides "quit smoking" just for the sake of saying it.. :)

Third question...If I do actualy go for my certificate based on the previous questions/answers, I want to start as soon as possible. There is a class that starts up in 2 weeks. It is a 5 week course with 4 open water dive checkouts in one weekend. Here is the real kicker, I live in New Jersey. The water around me is still frozen at the top...The water has to be damn cold, even in 5 or 6 weeks from now. An open water dive checkout in this area in mid-march sounds like I will wish I never actually started this venture...Any thaughts??? Recommendations???

--MichaelG

1. I'm a rather big guy myself, 6'1" 225lbs, with thousands invested in my beer gut. :) I don't, or haven't(knock on wood), have/had any problems diving. But I am rather active through work and in "ok" shape. The more fit you are, the better. Use diving as a motivational tool to get in shape. Until you do, just stay well within the limits, and you should be ok. Course you have to able to swim 200 yards or so without assists in the class. That can be a challenge if your badly out of shape.
  2. I don't smoke, so I can't offer much in this aera. But I've seen countless divers that did. Your air comsumption will be improved if you stop, so they say.
  3. This is an easy one. If you don't feel comfortable diving in those conditions, then don't. Most, if not all, instructors offer alot of leeway here. For instance, you could go ahead and take the class now and do the dives with another class when the water warms up a bit. Course if you go that route, you probably should reattend some of the pool sessions so it would be fresh on your mind. Ask your instructor about doing that. Another option is to take the classes at home and do the dives on a vacation in a warmer aera. But I personally wouldn't do that, because I'd be most comfortable with an instructor who I had went through the class with. And you generally want to dive in conditions that you'd normally be diving in. For me that means locally, since my wallet isn't fat enough for a monthly vacation.

Michael,

Smoking is a serious issue for divers. It goes way beyond air consumption. Air Consumption is how much air you breathe, this is important when you have a limited supply of air. Of more importance is the possibility of embolism. Alveoli are small sacs in your lungs, they are where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide take place. It is possible for these to burst if you hold your breath or if they get plugged during ascent. If they burst it's possible for are to enter the blood stream. This is called an embolism and can be fatal. Alveoli are flexible, but smoking decreases their flexibility increasing the possibility of an embolism. A smokers lungs are also much less efficient in removing mucus increasing the possibility of alveoli becoming plugged. Smoking usually kills you slowly, if you're a diver it could accomplish the job in seconds.

I'm also 5' 8" tall. I weigh 175 and I'm way out of shape. I can definately tell a big difference when hauling gear, swimming against current or making a long surface swim on a beach dive. I need to get back down to my ideal weight of 145. It makes everything easier.

A five week course sounds good, but you really should ask some questions. Check out the new diver section at diverlink.com for details on how to choose a class.

Walter

Diving doesn't require a four-minute mile. It does require sound cardiovascular health and reasonable aerobic capacity. Go swimming regularly and you'll get there.
As for smoking, quit.
It's the hardest thing you will ever do in your life (with the possible exception of night carrier landings), but it is necessary for good health.
Rick

Michael.

Hi michael. I stopped smoking 2 years ago simply because I sat down one day and thought about my situation logically. I had been smoking for around 8 (20 a day at least)years but since my job just requires me to sit at a computer, I realised that I was either going to stop smoking and become fit, or turn into a couch potatoe. I only realised, after stopping, the very negative things that smoking does to you. I never had any energy, I was depressed and lathargic. I am back to my myself now though thankfully.

If I were you , I would seriously try to quit smoking before taking up scuba diving for a hobby/career. You could try the confined water lessons and if you decided that you really liked scuba then you could use this as a great way in motivating yourself to stop smoking. If your unfit and a smoker then chances are that your air will only last around half as long as someone who is fit. Personally in order for me to stop I needed to start getting fit, since the way I felt at the end of a run made me realise just how rediculously out of shape I was. At the very start of my deciding to quit smoking I could only jog about 200 metres max before I was out of breath. 2 months after I stopped I could run 2 miles without stopping. But I needed a reason to stop smoking(as if the fact that smoking kills you wasnt enough) and that reason was because I wanted to get fit. If I just decided to stop smoking one day just because I decided it was bad for me, I really dont think I would have been able to stop. When I found scuba about a year ago I knew that I should have been born a fish, for this reason I will never even look at another cigarette for as long as I live.

If you goto "Ask Dr Decompression" on these forums you will find some more info on smoking and diving.

enough of the smoking, you'll love diving so much it will take care of it's self. just think of how much money you'll save to buy equiptment.

here in Arizona the lake water is at 43 degrees no ice but very cold at the dive shop where I'm taking my clases have 2 peice 7mm suits and I have stayed comfortable my instructors use dry suits and stay warm dry. I want one. another class and hundreds of $$$.

Michael,
Looks like everyone before me has offered some great advice, the only thing I'd like to add at this point is a welcome to the boards. Welcome to the family, you will find a wealth of information here on the boards that will give you a lot of insight as to what's to come once you do start your classes. Please don't hesitate to tap into this resource.

Sea you in the Deep Blue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom